Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Photos & Videos > Other Makes and Models

Other Makes and Models Section for people who don't have 5.0s but still have badass cars. DFW 5.0s Welcomes everyone

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #46
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
However, I think fuelly hides some variables worth knowing.

Then again, I would question the longevity on anything Dodge.

My dad's EB runs great though.
Trust me brother, I know fuelly isn't the end all be all for fuel economy reporting, but I do think it is the best place to pull data from on the internet currently.

I have never considered a MOPAR product before. When the put the ZF 8 speed auto in there pentastars though, I thought finally Dodge is doing something right. ZF makes a great transmission. Then a VM diesel, which is heavily used in Europe was put into the 1500/Jeep Grand Cherokee which I thought was a good move. I have doubts on all the other stuff, but the major components I am not as worried as before. This is the same mentaility I took behind stepping into a Mustang. The pros outwieghted the cons and I took a chance (which after a blown cylinder I question my choice).

I trusts your Dad's EB runs great too and given the way he drives, get's the mileage worthy of Ford's claims. But to me the majority of data swings the other way in relations to fuel economy. Plus EPA claims on the EB are 22 HWY and the EcoDiesel claims 28 HWY in 2WD forms. I don't think these engines are competitors though, the EB has much more capability that the EcoDiesel. To me, the EcoDiesel is a competitor with the higher mileage gasoline small V8's and V6's.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #47
Courtesy Flush

My father has an 14 EB 4x4 with roughly 2-3K miles.
The one time i drove it the average mpg read 16.4 based off the trucks computer with mixed highway & city. To me that seems low, since he drives like a grandpa.
Im curious what guys with tuned EB f-150's are getting?

ps.
***Diesel*** not diesal re7.
Courtesy Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #48
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
My father has an 14 EB 4x4 with roughly 2-3K miles.
The one time i drove it the average mpg read 16.4 based off the trucks computer with mixed highway & city. To me that seems low, since he drives like a grandpa.
Im curious what guys with tuned EB f-150's are getting?

ps.
***Diesel*** not diesal re7.
Tuning has been making a huge difference on the EBs from everything I've seen.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #49
Junkie

Originally Posted by rlhay2 View Post
A statement is made that diesel prices are likely to increase in the future but gas prices won't do the same? What logical basis is this assumption drawn from?

From what I have seen in this thread, others share factual data and you respond with hyperbole, conjecture and speculation.

I see trolling.
It seems his only reason to post here is to troll and post random nonsense BS. Anything that isn't "ford is the greatest ever" gets his attention lol.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #50
Zeek

If I had the money I'd gladly buy a new ecodiesel. Rip out the emmisons crap and turn it up. Its going to be awesome. I'm betting 30+mpg highway turned up.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #51
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
If I had the money I'd gladly buy a new ecodiesel. Rip out the emmisons crap and turn it up. Its going to be awesome. I'm betting 30+mpg highway turned up.
Exactly. By not having negative equity in my truck, this purchase is possible to for me. Gives me a chance to get better gas mileage daily driving, while having a much nicer interior and towing experience. MotorTrend (they are biased towards the newest truck) did give this truck the Truck of the Year honors, first truck to recieve the award consecutive years since they started doing so in 1979. Fuel economy was a big portion of why it won, but they also stated it towed the best out of the other 1/2 tons.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...k_of_the_year/

For once, a Mopar product is worth the gamble to me.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #52
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP View Post
Exactly. By not having negative equity in my truck, this purchase is possible to for me. Gives me a chance to get better gas mileage daily driving, while having a much nicer interior and towing experience. MotorTrend (they are biased towards the newest truck) did give this truck the Truck of the Year honors, first truck to recieve the award consecutive years since they started doing so in 1979. Fuel economy was a big portion of why it won, but they also stated it towed the best out of the other 1/2 tons.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...k_of_the_year/

For once, a Mopar product is worth the gamble to me.
I just want to say, the only reason the Ram won TOTY for consecutive years was because they added the ecodiesel when Ford and Chevy didn't really change too much on their trucks. Ford's F-Series haven't really had many changes or updates since 2011 other than new headlights and grills. lol
Old 05-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #53
Zeek

People complain about diesel being more expensive but you get more mpg, better towing, and its just better to drive in general. Its worth the extra $10-15 when you fill up IMO. Its cheaper than 93 and you get way more performance. Everyone complaining about new tech.....this motor has been out for along time just on other platforms. There's nothing really new here. Just because you take the motor out of 1 truck and put in another doesn't make then motor bad. It will probably last longer than normal seeing as its in a smaller truck than the normal box trucks they put it in.

Last edited by Zeek; 05-13-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #54
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
I just want to say, the only reason the Ram won TOTY for consecutive years was because they added the ecodiesel when Ford and Chevy didn't really change too much on their trucks. Ford's F-Series haven't really had many changes or updates since 2011 other than new headlights and grills. lol
Truth, but both Toyota and Chevy had refreshes between 2013 & 2014. Those refreshes were greater than just one engine being added to the Ram lineup. I was expecting Chevy to take it as usually the newest refresh wins. Either Ram has a great truck (which I think it maybe good) or Chevy dropped a ball on their redesign.
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Old 05-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #55
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP View Post
Truth, but both Toyota and Chevy had refreshes between 2013 & 2014. Those refreshes were greater than just one engine being added to the Ram lineup. I was expecting Chevy to take it as usually the newest refresh wins. Either Ram has a great truck (which I think it maybe good) or Chevy dropped a ball on their redesign.

The general consensus among anyone that doesn't suck a bowtie like a penis, would agree with the latter.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:56 AM   #56
garner

Not sure why rx7 is saying you'll never see the upgrade cost back, guess he's never heard of resale value. Plus I'm pretty sure fuel costs overall will be cheaper. My experience with 2 hemi rams over 53,000 miles was that I saw maybe 35 tanks that were over 15 mpg. Just with my 2012, out of 105 fill ups only 13 were 15 mpg or higher; the overall average is 13.6. Every tank was with 93(89 is recommended, 87 is acceptable though). My trucks never saw towing or hauling(other than ass) that would effect numbers. Even getting 20 mpg compared to 15 mpg in the gasser unloaded, the diesel upgrade would pay off depending on how long you own the truck.

As far as tuning goes, I would wait and see when, or even if, it does come out. I waited years for bullydog and diablo to unlock the computer and bring out tuners for my trucks. They still have nothing for the GC diesel which has been out a little longer than the ram, so that's a sign right there that tuning may take a while.

I think the ecodiesel is good for somebody that either wants FI power without being In a gasser like the ecoboost, or doesn't want to pay the $10k markup to get into a comparable 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Just be warned the resale value will suck compared to Toyota, no matter what.
garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 AM   #57
Crimson600+HP

I'm not too worried about resale value. I'm only 26 and vehicles will come and go for me over the years. Heck, if I worried about resale value I wouldn't own a Mustang let alone modify it the way I have.

I have a simple idea when it comes to vehicles purchasing. Buy whatever is the best out there that I can afford. Right now, this configuration is the best 1/2 ton power gain combo out there IMO.
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #58
Hagen3great

Ive done lots of research looking for a new work truck and the ecodiesel is my pick. It is a 2800 upcharge from the hemi and 4500 (4000 for engine and 500 for the transmission) from the v6 for only a few more mpgs. My rational on it is real world mpg. I've test driven a fully loaded 4x4 for 20 miles mixed highway/city (more highway) and was getting 25-26. The v6 model is returning 19-22 (according to fuely) but factor in a modest 1k payload for work supplies with occasional high elevation and the diesel looks that much better.

I read an article that tested it at max payload vs the 2500 Ram and it STILL returned 20mpg. I think the 2500 was in the 15-17 range. The problem now is getting ram to throw in those massive gas incentives on the eco.. so far I've only been offered invoice -2k. Some gassers are getting 10k off msrp!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #59
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by Hagen3great View Post
Ive done lots of research looking for a new work truck and the ecodiesel is my pick. It is a 2800 upcharge from the hemi and 4500 (4000 for engine and 500 for the transmission) from the v6 for only a few more mpgs. My rational on it is real world mpg. I've test driven a fully loaded 4x4 for 20 miles mixed highway/city (more highway) and was getting 25-26. The v6 model is returning 19-22 (according to fuely) but factor in a modest 1k payload for work supplies with occasional high elevation and the diesel looks that much better.

I read an article that tested it at max payload vs the 2500 Ram and it STILL returned 20mpg. I think the 2500 was in the 15-17 range. The problem now is getting ram to throw in those massive gas incentives on the eco.. so far I've only been offered invoice -2k. Some gassers are getting 10k off msrp!
I'm going through a bank's (Pentagon Federal Credit Union) car buying service. I am going for a Laramie with almost everything and I was able to get somewhere between $9K-10K off MRSP. I know USAA has one too, but car buying services are easy way to avoid dealers unwilling to budge or if a hot new vehicle comes out with a dealer upcharge. I know guys in the military were using these to avoid dealer markup on GT500's and Boss 302's when dealers were charging over MSRP to get one.
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Old 05-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #60
Hagen3great

Man that's exactly what I'm looking at. Either a Laramie or Laramie longhorn cuz that leather is o so nice. Ill have to look into a CU service. I would sign tomorrow on a LL if I can get 10k off sticker. Shoot me a pm if you don't mind with any info on your CU I may be able to use.