Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
2011gt/cs

Default Supercharged STREET car performance??

Hey guys, I'm new here and have a 2011 gt/cs. My father wants to buy it so i'll be buying another 2011/12 gt in the very near future. I'll have around 30k to spend and have already found a decent amount of cars to choose from. It will be supercharged and my question is: which one? and yes, i know this has been beaten to death.
The car will be my DD and will see a bunch of races on the street and on rare occasions, time permitting, will see the drag strip. It will have around 295 Michelin PSS's as the tire year round. I will mod the car up or down to get around 650rwhp and it will be a M6. Which one would be the quickest on the street. I'm leaning towards a car with a Roush or Whipple. Please tell me your choice and why?
Thanks,
Kyle
2011gt/cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

It depends but I've always love the whipple.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Grandpa
I> /\/\

A Paxton or a VMP TVS kit. A lot of it depends on personal preference of driving style and budget. You can get a Paxton kit from Beefcake pretty cheap, but by the time you add on all the other things you need to make good power and make it reliable you spend about the same as you would for a VMP kit that comes with everything you need.

Both kits also have their individual drawbacks. The VMP kit requires grinding the timing cover but is proven for at least 100k miles and then some. You can run a VMP kit the way it comes and be safe and upgrade as you go with other pullies.

The Paxton kit on the other hand can be a pain the ass if you don't buy everything need up front. The tank that comes with the Paxton leaks so you have to buy one from JPC or Moroso etc. Also, if you run the stock fan it's a really, really tight fit that could cause problems later so a lot of people will run a slim fan. You will also need a BAP with a Paxton to where with the VMP you don't need one.

Some like the Procharger D1, but it has its problems with the MAF placement, but it's moderately easy to install. I'm not a fan of Procharger personally. Their customer service sucks and the P1sc unit is a timebomb.

Of the three, the Paxton has the most power potential with the ability to make over a 1000rw, but of course that would require a full build.

If moderate power is what you are after (600rw-800rw) then I would say the TVS all the way.

Personally, I'd say the TVS is the way to go.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Dan12GT

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
A Paxton or a VMP TVS kit. A lot of it depends on personal preference of driving style and budget. You can get a Paxton kit from Beefcake pretty cheap, but by the time you add on all the other things you need to make good power and make it reliable you spend about the same as you would for a VMP kit that comes with everything you need.

Both kits also have their individual drawbacks. The VMP kit requires grinding the timing cover but is proven for at least 100k miles and then some. You can run a VMP kit the way it comes and be safe and upgrade as you go with other pullies.

The Paxton kit on the other hand can be a pain the ass if you don't buy everything need up front. The tank that comes with the Paxton leaks so you have to buy one from JPC or Moroso etc. Also, if you run the stock fan it's a really, really tight fit that could cause problems later so a lot of people will run a slim fan. You will also need a BAP with a Paxton to where with the VMP you don't need one.

Some like the Procharger D1, but it has its problems with the MAF placement, but it's moderately easy to install. I'm not a fan of Procharger personally. Their customer service sucks and the P1sc unit is a timebomb.

Of the three, the Paxton has the most power potential with the ability to make over a 1000rw, but of course that would require a full build.

If moderate power is what you are after (600rw-800rw) then I would say the TVS all the way.

Personally, I'd say the TVS is the way to go.
Curious why with a TVS do you not need a BAP? Does the TVS kit provide new pumps?

On another note I've heard the TVS kits tend to be a bit more efficient than the Whipple or KBs if that holds any significance for ya. Whipple I think i've heard is the most expensive.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Hagen3great

Ive got a vortech v3 with stock pully beefcake special (similar to paxton) and love it. Sometimes I wonder what a tvs would be like having that extra low-mid torque but it never fails to bring a smile. It would help if you could test drive both styles and see which you prefer.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
2011gt/cs

Thanks. I've been leaning towards the TVS as well. I just think it will be a more all around fun car with the M6. I know an auto and paxton will have the best times at the track but this will mainly be a DD/street car.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
2011gt/cs

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
Curious why with a TVS do you not need a BAP? Does the TVS kit provide new pumps?

On another note I've heard the TVS kits tend to be a bit more efficient than the Whipple or KBs if that holds any significance for ya. Whipple I think i've heard is the most expensive.
You know, I've seen that pattern as well. Seems the TVS is a better choice between the three. And with me only having a goal of ~650rwhp I don't need anything like a 2.9 whipple or 2.8kb.
Originally Posted by Hagen3great View Post
Ive got a vortech v3 with stock pully beefcake special (similar to paxton) and love it. Sometimes I wonder what a tvs would be like having that extra low-mid torque but it never fails to bring a smile. It would help if you could test drive both styles and see which you prefer.
Yeah good point. And I have no doubt that either car will put a huge smile on my face. I'm just curious as to which would be quicker in say a 40-140 race? Traction and gearing being the same I'm thinking the TVS may be a bit quicker?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
PLASMAN

Originally Posted by 2011gt/cs View Post
Thanks. I've been leaning towards the TVS as well. I just think it will be a more all around fun car with the M6. I know an auto and paxton will have the best times at the track but this will mainly be a DD/street car.
Come out to a few meets and you can go for a ride in a few M6 TVS cars within the group.
mods to be put on:
MAK 3" Offroad downpipe, FR Intercooler, Meth kit, SSI T5 Tune

Totaled:
2013 GT/CS A6
Steeda CAI/ VMP Tune/GT500 AB/JEGS CAT DELETES/
STEEDA UCA/LCA'S/ EIBACH PRO KIT STRUTS/ FRPP K SPRINGS/ BMR PANHARD BAR / Shelby Razors 20's
PLASMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
2011gt/cs

Originally Posted by PLASMAN View Post
Come out to a few meets and you can go for a ride in a few M6 TVS cars within the group.
I'm going to have to do that. Only thing is, are there any meets like on a sunday or monday? I'm usually working Wed-Sat
Old 12-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post

The TVS just isn't as taxing on the fuel system and a centri unit is.

The Whipple's and KB's are the most expensive kits. They have more growth potential than a TVS down the road if a full build is planned at some point. But on a stock type setup they don't make as much power because they have to be held back.

Honestly, all the kits available are more than enough to destroy the stock motors. You just gotta think ahead of what you want out of your car.

Another thing I like about the VMP kit is that all the wiring is a plug n play style and you don't have to splice up the wiring on your car. That way if you ever want to put it back to stock with won't be such a pain in the ass.

Originally Posted by Hagen3great View Post
I agree. Both are really fun to drive, it comes down to personal preference and how the car is intended to be driven most often.

I've owned both style of blowers. Both are a lot of fun to drive, but for the way I like to drive, I prefer the roots style blowers for the low-mid range torque around town. It just makes it a blast to drive. I don't usually drive my car at real high RPM's and don't race as much as I used to. I really enjoy the country twisty backroads and the low range torque from the TVS is more suited for that type of driving.

If you are a track rat and want to go fast easy - auto with a Paxton, convertor, exhaust and a good tire = easy 10 second car all day long.

If you want a car that does it all = Hellion Twin Turbo kit.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by 2011gt/cs View Post
You know, I've seen that pattern as well. Seems the TVS is a better choice between the three. And with me only having a goal of ~650rwhp I don't need anything like a 2.9 whipple or 2.8kb.

Yeah good point. And I have no doubt that either car will put a huge smile on my face. I'm just curious as to which would be quicker in say a 40-140 race? Traction and gearing being the same I'm thinking the TVS may be a bit quicker?
Don't get caught up peak numbers. It's a fools errand. All too often you will see big Paxton cars making 100rw more than a TVS car and it still loses.

It's all about the right set up, getting the power down and the right race for your set up vs the other guy.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
2011gt/cs

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Don't get caught up peak numbers. It's a fools errand. All too often you will see big Paxton cars making 100rw more than a TVS car and it still loses.

It's all about the right set up, getting the power down and the right race for your set up vs the other guy.
Right, I understand that. That's why I've been leaning towards the TVS. Like mentioned earlier, throw on a good tire, converter, and go to the track and the Paxton is a beast. But that's not what I'm going for. Also, to be clear, I'm not buying any of these kits, I'm looking at cars with the supercharger already on them. Not that it makes a difference in this discussion, just pointing it out.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Dan12GT

Steve knows his stuff!

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
2011gt/cs

A pic of my current car just for shits and giggles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-10_17-31-54_670.jpg (42.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
JDBishopArts

I have a TVS and love it. I don't daily it but I could with no issues. Install was easy. We installed it in a day and I drove it back home. I have an 82mm pulley on a very conservative tune and am probably making in the 560 range. The TVS is good for 750-800 but that's about it. Which is more than enough for me. I'd eventually be very happy at around 700-750. After that you can't really put it all down efficiently anyway.

In the 2.3 displacement range the TVS is the way to go. It's been proven to have less heat soak and be more efficient than the Whipple or KB in similar sizes. Of course if you go up to the 2.8 whipple etc those will be better. Like said before the tq in the low to mid range is a lot of fun. Here is a vid of me vs a 700 HP car. It's at the end of the video. He wasn't in full boost at the beginning and was spinning a little and I missed 4th, not that it would have mattered much. I was able to fend him off for a little bit. I also kept a 700hp Camaro at bay for a few seconds. Main race was against a Vortech Foxbody.

JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote