Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #1
mavfan37

Default Drank the AED grape drink...

And it's AMAZING!

Installed my JBA Long Tubes and off-road H-pipe today with Shaun's AED tune and have been loving it! Hopefully I can get a video up in a couple of days.

Also, thanks to Austin at BA-speed for the hook-up on the JBA's.

Last edited by mavfan37; 03-06-2014 at 12:42 AM.
mavfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
Midnight11
El Presidente

Now buy my cams

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
DirtyD

I want those cams. Be perfect NA power, but I really don't want to crack into my motor. And I'm not sure of I'll lose any MPG, since the car is still a DD
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
mavfan37

Haha. Not anytime soon. I'm broke.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Boss949

Originally Posted by mavfan37 View Post
And it's AMAZING!

Installed my JBA Long Tubes and off-road H-pipe today with Shaun's AED tune and have been loving it! Hopefully I can get a video up in a couple of days.

Also, thanks to Austin at BA-speed for the hook-up on the JBA's.
Congrats. Shaun is a great tuner and better person.

What gas are you using?

Here's some tips about using the SCT tuner if you want them:
1. Buy a trickle charger (3amp )and use this when changing tune. SCT has an issue with 2011+ 5.0's. It's a voltage issue and trickle charger is great insurance.
2. Always change the tune at your house.
3. Make sure your Auto Lamps are off. (I learned the hard way)

Thanks,

Steve
2013 Boss 302 PW, Recaro, Torsen, AED tune, Airaid CAI, MGW, Hotchkis Springs/LCA, Whiteline Relo, CHE K Member w/Torque Limiters, Griggs Torque Arm Kit, T/A rear girdle, Kenny Brown Pan Hard Bar, Whiteline Tranny Bushing, JPC Linelock, JPC stainless clutch line, MT ET Street Radials (when needed), , 2013 GT500 Quad Axle Backs, Kooks LT 1 3/4, O/R X Pipe, Resonator Delete, JPC Line Lock,JPC Clutch Line.
Boss949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
my95z28

Originally Posted by Boss949 View Post
Congrats. Shaun is a great tuner and better person.

What gas are you using?

Here's some tips about using the SCT tuner if you want them:
1. Buy a trickle charger (3amp )and use this when changing tune. SCT has an issue with 2011+ 5.0's. It's a voltage issue and trickle charger is great insurance.
2. Always change the tune at your house.
3. Make sure your Auto Lamps are off. (I learned the hard way)

Thanks,

Steve
Care to expand on these? What are the issues that come up when using a SCT?
my95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
Boss949

Originally Posted by my95z28 View Post
I decided to change my tune at the drag strip and I "bricked" the car. Would not load the tune or recover my stock tune. We disconnected the battery for 20 min. and finally able to load the tune.

If I remember correctly; got a "charging system" error. It was at night and I forgot that I had the "auto lamps" on !!!!

I called SCT and spoke to one of the dealer rep technicians. He admitted that there was a problem with the 2011+ 5.0 in the voltage system. A random issue with a voltage surge and they were working on a fix. Still haven't heard about a fix.

His recommendation was the same as Shaun's: Get a Trickle Charger and use this when changing the tune. Never change the tune away from home. All accessories "off" , including "auto lamp".

I purchased a trickle charger from Auto Zone. Actually, I couldn't find a 2 Amp; only a variable (Schumacher 2-10 amp, which works great).

Works great and have not had an issue with loading a tune since.

Hope this helps.
2013 Boss 302 PW, Recaro, Torsen, AED tune, Airaid CAI, MGW, Hotchkis Springs/LCA, Whiteline Relo, CHE K Member w/Torque Limiters, Griggs Torque Arm Kit, T/A rear girdle, Kenny Brown Pan Hard Bar, Whiteline Tranny Bushing, JPC Linelock, JPC stainless clutch line, MT ET Street Radials (when needed), , 2013 GT500 Quad Axle Backs, Kooks LT 1 3/4, O/R X Pipe, Resonator Delete, JPC Line Lock,JPC Clutch Line.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
DirtyD

Check this thread. http://dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2630

Basically the SCT handheld demands a lot of voltage from the car's ECU. If you have too much electrical demand on the car's charging system without the alternator to recharge it, the ECU essentially shuts itself down to protect from electrical surge.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
my95z28

Good info, glad I learned about it before hand! Thanks guys
my95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Boss949

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Check this thread. http://dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2630

Basically the SCT handheld demands a lot of voltage from the car's ECU. If you have too much electrical demand on the car's charging system without the alternator to recharge it, the ECU essentially shuts itself down to protect from electrical surge.
I wish I would have been a member here when I first tuned my car.

Great post and excellent description of the problem and fix.

I'll be sure to refer others to this in the future.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
DirtyD

Good info, glad I learned about it before hand! Thanks guys
No problem. Just glad I could save you from a potential headache.

I wish I would have been a member here when I first tuned my car.

Great post and excellent description of the problem and fix.

I'll be sure to refer others to this in the future.
Thanks. This issue popped up a lot on SVTP, so I decided to finally type something up.

You don't always need a trickle charger, however. Just roll both windows down, and turn off all accessories (lights, radio, HVAC, etc) and keep all doors, trunks, and hoods closed. You should still be able to tune the car that way.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
Boss949

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
No problem. Just glad I could save you from a potential headache.

Thanks. This issue popped up a lot on SVTP, so I decided to finally type something up.

You don't always need a trickle charger, however. Just roll both windows down, and turn off all accessories (lights, radio, HVAC, etc) and keep all doors, trunks, and hoods closed. You should still be able to tune the car that way.

I've turned everything off and all acc. and it still bricked; that's when I called SCT and got the info about the charger.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
DirtyD

I've turned everything off and all acc. and it still bricked; that's when I called SCT and got the info about the charger.
I've only been successful by turning everything off twice. But I forgot to note that if you do it without a trickle charger, the car needs to be cooled down. If the car is still hot/warm from driving, you have a higher chance of it bricking.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #14
mavfan37

Dang I didn't have an issue at all. I will make sure in the future to do these things just to make sure. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, I only run 93 gas.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
YouGoGlenCocoa

can anyone verify the need of a charger when tuning with an sct itsx? Or is it a handheld only issue?
2013 Mustang GT/CS | Borla S-Type AB | Wincos Tint | Shorty Antenna | Redline Hood Struts | Eibach Pro Kit Springs | Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts | GT500 Strut Mounts | Eibach Camber Bolts | BMR ADJ Panhard Bar | BMR ADJ UCA | BMR UCA Mount
YouGoGlenCocoa is offline   Reply With Quote