Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Phuck Phace
My Stapler!

Fake cams ftl

2012 GT/CS
93 Cobra
Phuck Phace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
JDMLOL

Default Re: BAMA Ghost Cam Tune, GOOD OR BAD?

I'm a little ignorant on cams, but do they even make decent cams for these motors? All I've seen for these cars are nsr cams and I would think they couldn't add much if the lift isn't enough to require new springs... is lift even the right term for a dohc??

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS

Last edited by JDMLOL; 05-09-2013 at 06:10 PM.
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
kanetrain

Maybe this is pure ignorance on my part, but why do you guys consider it "fake"? Isn't it the cams making that sound?? I understand it's just an idle thing, but I don't think I would consider it "fake" if it is, in fact, the cams making it make that sound.
Eibach coil over kit, adjustable panhard bar w/ rear LCAs, Hurst shifter, magnaflow cat-back exhaust, o/r x-pipe, 85mm tb, cai, tune, 3.73 rear end gears, gold plated cross drilled/slotted rotors, TSW 19inch wheels, nice big 305s on the rear.
kanetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
Smurf50

Originally Posted by kanetrain View Post
Maybe this is pure ignorance on my part, but why do you guys consider it "fake"? Isn't it the cams making that sound?? I understand it's just an idle thing, but I don't think I would consider it "fake" if it is, in fact, the cams making it make that sound.
With a "ghost cam" tune, you don't actually have aftermarket cams with a different LSA causing the "loping" sound. It's purely done with variables and causing the car to run very rich
Smurf50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
kanetrain

Originally Posted by Smurf50 View Post
With a "ghost cam" tune, you don't actually have aftermarket cams with a different LSA causing the "loping" sound. It's purely done with variables and causing the car to run very rich
Well of course they aren't "aftermarket", but it's still the camshaft's lobes making the "lope" correct? I know they dump fuel into it, as well, but it's the lobes that are making the sound?? I may be wrong, I'm curious.
Eibach coil over kit, adjustable panhard bar w/ rear LCAs, Hurst shifter, magnaflow cat-back exhaust, o/r x-pipe, 85mm tb, cai, tune, 3.73 rear end gears, gold plated cross drilled/slotted rotors, TSW 19inch wheels, nice big 305s on the rear.
kanetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
Smurf50

Originally Posted by kanetrain View Post
Well of course they aren't "aftermarket", but it's still the camshaft's lobes making the "lope" correct? I know they dump fuel into it, as well, but it's the lobes that are making the sound?? I may be wrong, I'm curious.
Incorrect. The sound of a car "loping" is due to the grind of the camshaft and the LSA of that camshaft. On a stock grind the idle will be smooth, such as if you remove the "ghost tune" from the car. All it's doing is tricking the car into dumping excess fuel, adjusting the timing and the lift electronically to simulate the cam lope.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
Jeremyd43

Thanks for the feedback. Oh and thanks to JDM for the heads up that running the A/C during idle can cause the car to stall when the ghost cam is on the tune.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #23
Jeremyd43

Originally Posted by dark pony View Post
it's only good if done right. Shaun at aed knows how to do them pretty well.
aed?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
Jeremyd43

Originally Posted by Jeremyd43 View Post
aed?
never mind. found it.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #25
JDMLOL

I thought the lopey idle comes from the intake and exhaust valves overlapping slightly on an aftermarket cam and in the ghost cam's case it's being done electronically.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #26
Smurf50

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
I thought the lopey idle comes from the intake and exhaust valves overlapping slightly on an aftermarket cam and in the ghost cam's case it's being done electronically.

I believe that overlap is the LSA (lobe separation angle).
Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
Toby

With the new 5.0 they have electronic solenoids that act with the oil pressure and a spring on the cam sprocket to adjust the Lsa. The intake and exhaust have their own separate solenoid and galleys to where each can be adjusted how ever and what ever you want, you just need the correct software that gives you access to these tables in the tune. With the factory setup the computer can advance or retard the Lsa as much as 50*!! With the ghost tune it simply advances the cam timing thus causing the lope sound. When installed "straight" up the factory cams would be some choppy mo fo's!!!
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #28
Pepperinyoureye

My Bama tuner/tunes just came in on Tuesday. Been on Race tune since then and I'm satisfied so far. Much smoother power band, throttle response is great, and like stock drive ability. Cant really speak on the cam tune but I'm happy so far.
Pepperinyoureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #29
JDMLOL

Default Re: BAMA Ghost Cam Tune, GOOD OR BAD?

Originally Posted by Pepperinyoureye View Post
My Bama tuner/tunes just came in on Tuesday. Been on Race tune since then and I'm satisfied so far. Much smoother power band, throttle response is great, and like stock drive ability. Cant really speak on the cam tune but I'm happy so far.
I just got mine today. Happy so far, may do the dyno thing when im settled on mods for a bit. Anyone have a little longer crank time on the first initial start up after loading the tune? Im assuming because the key is on and the fuel pump is ready to go for so long when loading...

The Queen:
Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
re-rx7
Banned

The more I hear about the coyote motor the more it seems like a kseries motor from Honda. It to can adjust timing up to 50degrees! Man I guess we should be thanking Honda for variable valve timing in a way.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote