Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
Soulowd

Default Stock shifter issues

Hey guys has any of you ever had any problems with your stock shifters? Nine times out of 10 whenever I am shifting into forth under heavy load it just like I'm hitting a wall and cannot get it in properly. I have heard from several people that these shifters are hit or miss. I never had any issues with my 2011 shifter. I guess I'm going to have to pick up a mgw or Barton.

1993 Cobra Black
Bbk shorty's, x-pipe, Flowmasters, bbk TB, bbk Cai,
UD pullies
(240rwhp/280rwtq)
Soulowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
donutninja

I've heard the same thing and I think it feels a little sloppy though way better than my old Maxima did. I always have issues with 3rd.
donutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
5PointSlow

I have the JHR line, shifter bracket and Tilton TSR-1 brake/clutch fluid. everything else is stock. no issues shifting at all.

SOLD!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium
Roush TVS/JLT Big Air
Stainless Works Long Tubes and catted X.
Magnaflow Competition Catback
AED Tuned
***Driver Mod***
10.88@134 on street tires
5PointSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
fordplay

Doughnut, with third, don't ham fist the shifter into 3rd, open palm, diagonal nudge, it goes like butter, when you force it we have a tendency to push down and it changes the angle and you bind going into gear, honestly almost every gear change for me is open handed, when I'm putting around all I use it 2 fingers to shift, let it do the work for you
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Darkhelmet22

Mine never wanted to go into 4th or 5th on high rpm shifts. The MGW makes a ton of difference but I would also recommend the whiteline trans bushing and a good fluid. Ive heard mixed reviews on replacing the clutch line and removing the clutch pedal return spring.

Hypermotive Tune | Pypes Longtubes and O/R X | Corsa Sports | H&R Race Springs | Eibach panhard bar | BMR LCAs | BMR relo brackets | Koni yellows | Eibach sway bars | Ground Control CC plates | MGW shifter | SVE Drifts |
Darkhelmet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
PCB

I did Barton w/bracket and the transmission bushing and have never had problems.
PCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
DirtyD

my car is stock shifter + Barton 2-post bracket, Whiteline trans bushing, JHR/JPC stainless clutch line, motul rbf600 fluid. no issues lately with shifting under WOT
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
NAVAG

MGW if you want to do track. Barton good enough for daily driving. Sometimes I have a hard time with 3rd and 5th and also down shifting into 4th. Thinking about buying a Barton Bracket.
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Soulowd View Post
Hey guys has any of you ever had any problems with your stock shifters? Nine times out of 10 whenever I am shifting into forth under heavy load it just like I'm hitting a wall and cannot get it in properly. I have heard from several people that these shifters are hit or miss. I never had any issues with my 2011 shifter. I guess I'm going to have to pick up a mgw or Barton.
Yes. Put an MGW in and it fixed the issue. The stock shifters are just really sloppy and vague.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
El_Tortuga

Happy with the Barton c/w 2 post bracket and white one bushing. The track pack 3.73s and shorter tires mean I'm working it a bunch to get around the course.
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
TwoQuack

If you listen to someone who eats their own dogfood, chances are you won't go wrong.

The guys at Vorshlag know what they're talking about when it comes to these Mustangs. They've got one there with which they've won many events and hold records in certain tracks with it. And they've got many Mustang customers. To me, if you're doing that well on the track with it, I'll take that advice above any others.

This being said, I'd bought an MGW and asked if they'd install it for me. He said with their race car they have the stock shifter with the Whiteline bushing, which they sell, and the Steeda Shifter Base Bushing. He advised me to install those 1st and see how they performed. I've got an appointment there this week to get those installed. If it goes well I'll have an MGW for sale, in case you still want to go that route.

My 2 dracmas. If it has to do with suspension and performance, ask Vorshlag before buying into anyone else's story. Chances are Vorshlag will give you the best recommendation.
TwoQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
GreenGravity

I'm going to order the base brace before anything els due to quacks recommendation I have seen many others state it's the reason for sloppy shifts and reduces your chances of a miss.
GreenGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
fordplay

Woo hoo stock shifter for the win!!! Doesn't the new Barton come with a new base? Along with the white line trans brace.. I'd still consider the Barton bracket.. Instead of the stock zip tie piece
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by TwoQuack View Post
I've got an appointment there this week to get those installed. If it goes well I'll have an MGW for sale, in case you still want to go that route.
Great advice. I ask for advice from a lot of people too, but I usually take most advice with a grain of salt unless they have the experience that I trust.

If you end up selling the MGW...let me know.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
Soulowd

Installed Whiteline Positive Shift Kit today and it is awesome! I took the stang out to an empty road and gave it 4 hard runs and it shifts waaayyy better. No more getting locked out of 4th just like shifting through butter on a hot day. And it was only 35$ @ Vorshlag. Took maybe 10-15 minutes to install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2014-04-16 at 3.45.30 PM.jpg (29.6 KB, 24 views)

1993 Cobra Black
Bbk shorty's, x-pipe, Flowmasters, bbk TB, bbk Cai,
UD pullies
(240rwhp/280rwtq)
Soulowd is offline   Reply With Quote