Foxbody 5.0s For the original 5.0s that started it all

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #31
Mike

Originally Posted by OG Fox View Post
STOP HIJACKING MY THREAD.

lets stay on topic. how hard would it to get 400 wheel horsepower out of a 302.? lets say i found an 91 in the graveyard somewhere. what would the plan be? is that something i can keep around 5k for just the motor.
The budget you are setting is MORE than enough to get to your goal, but it's a waste of time trying to do it with a 302 based block. I run across 393's, 408's and other 351 based strokers all the time that are complete and ready to drop in for under $5k.

Originally Posted by STROKD View Post
74 is a decent year, with stock 2 bolt mains its safe to about 600-650bhp... Or 500ish rw. I beam rods are cheap, SRP pistons are off the shelf non custom replacements made by JE (decent). I think the price is fair because of the heads... What compression and cubic inch is it?
That is a 408Ci, not sure on compression.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #32
STROKD
Old School

Originally Posted by Mike View Post
The budget you are setting is MORE than enough to get to your goal, but it's a waste of time trying to do it with a 302 based block. I run across 393's, 408's and other 351 based strokers all the time that are complete and ready to drop in for under $5k.

That is a 408Ci, not sure on compression.
for a 408 with a good forged crank, the price is more than reasonable. I would figure that motor with 205s and a good carb intake should make 430-450 at the wheels depending on compression?

Edit, just re read the motor setup, with a solid roller it could make near 500 rw... that'd be a fun street engine.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #33
blownaltered
I have a small penis

You want real info go to www.corral.net and do a search in the Windsor motor forum. Do some reading and you will find your answer.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #34
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Not happening. Sorry, just being honest.
Agreed. No 302 based motor is going to get there. It will require a 351 based motor of some sort.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
STROKD
Old School

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Agreed. No 302 based motor is going to get there. It will require a 351 based motor of some sort.
yes and no. a 302, no, a 302 stroked to something substantial, yes. my dad's 351 stroker made 487 bhp which would be around 410rw, and it's only 8.8-1 and has a baby cam and small heads...

I think a 347 with 11-1 compression and some good heads would make over 400 rw, but it wouldnt be 5k unless he found all the parts used.

Edit, I think Toby made 420 rw with a 347 as well... not sure on specifics.

Last edited by STROKD; 04-02-2013 at 01:44 PM.
STROKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #36
OG Fox
Supporting Member

yes and no. a 302, no, a 302 stroked to something substantial, yes. my dad's 351 stroker made 487 bhp which would be around 410rw, and it's only 8.8-1 and has a baby cam and small heads...

I think a 347 with 11-1 compression and some good heads would make over 400 rw, but it wouldnt be 5k unless he found all the parts used.

Edit, I think Toby made 420 rw with a 347 as well... not sure on specifics.
ok cool, these are the answers i been looking for.
I just got the new Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and they did a whole bunch of engine combos on the 302/stroker/boosted applications.

The final N/A motor was a 363 stroker (302 based block), dart pro heads, holley 950 carb, custom cam, and put down to the crank 564/ 487.

in comparison to a modified carb 347 stroker which put down 482/ 424 to the crank.

So it looks like I'll be going stroker.
OG Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #37
46Tbird

There is no way you will get 500 n/a hp between the rails on a $5k budget.

ok cool, these are the answers i been looking for.
I just got the new Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and they did a whole bunch of engine combos on the 302/stroker/boosted applications.

The final N/A motor was a 363 stroker (302 based block), dart pro heads, holley 950 carb, custom cam, and put down to the crank 564/ 487.

in comparison to a modified carb 347 stroker which put down 482/ 424 to the crank.

So it looks like I'll be going stroker.
To get that 363" size you have to run a 4.125" bore which automatically means a $2000 aftermarket block. That doesn't include the machine work to clearance it for that big stroker crank and buying all the rods, pistons, rings, bearings, cam, timing set, etc etc etc. I'm not sure you could get that short block together for your $5k budget - and then all you'd have to bolt on it would be those sweet smogger '82 heads.

Concentrate your $$ where it counts. Your best bet is to buy one of those well built long- or shortblocks that other people have posted up. Let someone else take a hit on all that pricey stuff. Remember that you're going to have to spend a fortune in headers/exhaust, fuel system/carb, ignition, converter or clutch, transmission, rear end, suspension, etc to support ANY "500hp" engine combination.

Building a car ain't cheap, so when someone says they have a cheap and fast Fox body, they are talking about an '87-93 car with a nitrous kit that is living on borrowed time.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #38
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post

To get that 363" size you have to run a 4.125" bore which automatically means a $2000 aftermarket block. That doesn't include the machine work to clearance it for that big stroker crank and buying all the rods, pistons, rings, bearings, cam, timing set, etc etc etc. I'm not sure you could get that short block together for your $5k budget - and then all you'd have to bolt on it would be those sweet smogger '82 heads.

Concentrate your $$ where it counts. Your best bet is to buy one of those well built long- or shortblocks that other people have posted up. Let someone else take a hit on all that pricey stuff. Remember that you're going to have to spend a fortune in headers/exhaust, fuel system/carb, ignition, converter or clutch, transmission, rear end, suspension, etc to support ANY "500hp" engine combination.

Building a car ain't cheap, so when someone says they have a cheap and fast Fox body, they are talking about an '87-93 car with a nitrous kit that is living on borrowed time.
Exactly. Very well said.

Cheap, fast or reliable. Pick two because it's all you get.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
46Tbird

If you want confirmation of what I stated above, go to dfwmustangs.net and look for threads started by 91CoupeMike. lol
Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #40
Mike

Spoken like a pro! I thought I was going to build my yellow car within three months and support 500hp without issues. I quickly found out that it was going to take longer than that to do it right, and the cost would be much higher than expected.

OP, have you put much thought into what tranny you plan on using to support this 500hp goal? Your typical T5 and AOD aren't going to be up for the task for very long.

If you want confirmation of what I stated above, go to dfwmustangs.net and look for threads started by 91CoupeMike. lol
lmao
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #41
OG Fox
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Mike View Post

OP, have you put much thought into what tranny you plan on using to support this 500hp goal? Your typical T5 and AOD aren't going to be up for the task for very long.
no clue honestly, i want something sturdy. im not buying everything at once either, im gonna slowly build the engine first so if i go over 5k, then thats fine. Im also working on the suspension in the mean time.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #42
blownaltered
I have a small penis

I just put a tko 600 in mine with a twin disc clutch. Since I make 500hp my t5 was living on borrowed time. Decided to sell the t5 before it blew up and I couldn't sell it.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #43
TrueStreetMotorSports.com
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

no clue honestly, i want something sturdy. im not buying everything at once either, im gonna slowly build the engine first so if i go over 5k, then thats fine. Im also working on the suspension in the mean time.
Ill sell you my motor out of my race car for 12,500. Carb to oil pan, 640rwhp to the tires with a stick. 9.80 on the motor..... Lol it's ready to go, everything is 100% fresh

TrueStreetMotorSports.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #44
OG Fox
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by TrueStreetMotorSports.com View Post
Ill sell you my motor out of my race car for 12,500. Carb to oil pan, 640rwhp to the tires with a stick. 9.80 on the motor..... Lol it's ready to go, everything is 100% fresh
uhhhh yeah let me get an auto loan out asap.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #45
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by TrueStreetMotorSports.com View Post
Lol that's funny right there
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote