Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
donutninja

Default Gas Tank Overflowing

So I just stopped at a shell station at 183 and Regal Row to get some much needed gas. Forgot I needed gas when I left for work this morning and the light was on.

I noticed the pump was going crazy fast. YAY! then all of a sudden the gas came pouring out all over the side of the car and the ground.

I wasn't watching the pump because I figured it would stop when the tank was full....you know... like always. I wiped off all the gas within about 3 minutes (had to go inside and ask for towels)

A few questions
1) Is all that gas going to mess up the clear coat. I wiped it up as soon as I could but it was almost the entire rear quarter.
2) Was it the car or the gas pump that caused this to happen and should I bring it into Ford? I always thought the pump itself had a backup sensor and killed on its own.
3) or am I just an idiot and missed something?

At least I have a super full tank of gas now? ( >_<)

Last edited by donutninja; 11-14-2013 at 01:33 AM.
donutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
fordplay

I have had this happen at shell with my Mustang and my flex, it seems shell does not like fords filler neck. So I don't think it's both my cars. As for your paint it will be fine , wash the area and reapply polish and wax
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
maxpayne

Same thing happens to me occasionally, but not that bad. It pisses me off, but now I am super careful when removing the pump handle.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
JDMLOL

Not every pump has an automatic shutoff feature. They are supposed to post if it doesn't work. I've been to a few where it was posted and I wasn't paying attention and it ran over a little bit.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
donutninja

Ah, ok. Thanks guys.
donutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
DirtyD

Yeah, just make sure that the attendant knows the auto shut off is not working, because that's a BIG no-no if they don't know about it.

Same thing happened to me, and my clearcoat is fine.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote