Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Suspension

Suspension Post up questions about your Mustang's suspension or ride quality

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
JPC

Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
Who has a watt's link installed? I'm thinking this is my next mod. I need better cornering stability, especially on the tollway. Does it keep the axle more planted like they say. Hopefully it eliminates the corner hop/see saw action altogether. I also read Steeda's new rear X brace helps with this as well.
I have the Whiteline Watts Link on my 2012 Boss 302.
the difference is pretty dramatic

I'm co-organizing and instructing at Five Star Ford Track Day on Sat Sept 7th
https://www.facebook.com/events/539172632784999/
come out and bring a helmet for a test ride
...or sign up for some REAL fun :-)

you can also email directly @ [email protected]
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
Fair

We've installed a lot of the Whiteline Watts Links, and in fact tested some of the first production units. We've put them on street cars, autocross cars, track cars, and everything in between.

The Whiteline unit shown above is a work of art. It comes with a new diff cover (which has several side benefits of its own), elastomer bushings (not metal spherical bearings), and an adjustable Roll Center.

Click above for the "wheel cam" video to see axle movement on street tires
in an autocross. Note: This car had an aftermarket tubular BMR Panhard Bar.

Why Is A Watt's Better?

These keep your car's axle from moving around like mad under lateral loads, lower the rear roll center, and give you a linear axle movement under suspension bump travel. There is a lot of benefit from a Watts Link over a PHB set-up, which I detailed in this post, but they have one downside - cost.

Sure, there are more things to adjust, too, but it really isn't adjusted much once you get the roll center height and lateral location of the axle set. Not every shop understands that, of course, and we have actually fixed installs done at other places. But it isn't hard.

Will it cure axle hop? Dandruff, gout or male pattern baldness? I don't know about all of that. I just know that I have street driven, autocrossed, and tracked with the WL Watts on several cars and they were easier to drive, dead quiet in use, had faster transitions/slaloms, and showed much less lateral axle/tire movement than with a PHB. We've beat on our 2011 GT with a WL Watts for over a year, using 295mm street tires and up to 345mm width Hoosier A6 race tires for a year and it has been great.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
saunupe1911

Great info. I may have to go for a ride on the 7th. This is definitely my next mod.
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
Fair

Great info. I may have to go for a ride on the 7th. This is definitely my next mod.
While we are almost always at the Five Star Ford ECR events... we'll be racing all week at Miller Motorsports Park that day running in the NASA National Championships.

We're thrashing all week here to get some mods finished before heading up and seeing how we stack up to the best of the best. Gonna try to sneak out to ECR this weekend and test...
Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
JPC

I should be at ECR pretty early since I'm running the drivers meetings IE 8am

txt me @ 972-838-7768

bring a helmet!!!

Jerry Cecco
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #21
saunupe1911

I'll be there if nothing super important comes up. I got a SNELL/DOT HJC ready to go.
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote