Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Doug1227 View Post
So far all I've done is a tune by Truestreet, K&N, GT500A/B and Jeg's Cat deletes. I'm tempted to buy a CAI, but I'm trying to resist buying things that aren't part of my longterm goals. I've been saying a wanted to put a KB2.8LC on it, but I'm starting to look pretty seriously at Hellion's new twin setup. I LOVE the sound of BOV's and turbos just make power SO efficiently. The only thing that has me a little apprehensive is the underhood heat. My turbo fox generated so much heat under the hood it would melt anything within 6" of the hotside! I think it may have had uncharacteristically high EGT's though so maybe I'm worrying over nothing. I'd like to see a turbo'd '12 in person before I make up my mind. I also need to figure out how hard it is to change the oil pump gear as that seems to be a major weak link from what I've read.
Kevin's(04sleeper) will be getting that kit here very soon. So you may not have to wait very long to see how it will run.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
Midnight11
El Presidente

Hellion is overrated go with Lund racings kit

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
Doug1227

I haven't seen much other than the Alpha car for Lund. I got the impression that they were still a ways away from having it all jigged up and ready for production. I think the cost between the two is about the same. Don't get me wrong, they're BOTH expensive! I did just read a good article in the August '12 5.0/Superfords magazine where they did an install of the Hellion twin kit. Up until then, I hadn't really seen the components in the kit, look at the pipe routing, etc. It looks like a decent kit. Like I said earlier, my biggest concern is the hotside piping and it's routing relative to other components in the engine compartment. I'd love to check one out in person!
Doug1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Midnight11
El Presidente

Search on s197 for hellion threads. The one guy who bought his could never get it tuned right and only made like 500 hp lol

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #20
Doug1227

I think that was the single kit... I have read negative things about it... I think that's why they went to a twin setup and it's making sick power at very low boost levels. Not that many running around just yet though..
Old 06-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
Phuck Phace
My Stapler!

I want a set of twins now too.

2012 GT/CS
93 Cobra
Phuck Phace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
Grandpa
I> /\/\

The twin kit makes very nice power. Kevin will tune his own car on e85 as usual. I have no doubt it will make great power with great drivabilty. Hopefully he will start posting soon his usual tech stuff. You guys will feel better about after that. He knows his shit.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Phuck Phace View Post
I want a set of twins now too.
Blondes, brunettes or redheads? I know you arent talkin turbos for the sixer. Lol
Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
Doug1227

One other concern I have about the turbo kits is whether you can throw the cats back on once a year and get it inspected?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
Grandpa
I> /\/\

One other concern I have about the turbo kits is whether you can throw the cats back on once a year and get it inspected?
I would think as long as the car isn't throwing a code you would be fine at inspection time. I've never had a problem getting the Mach inspected with no cats.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
Doug1227

Oh really? My tune turns off my back 2 O2's, but I assumed I'd still have to swap them out at inspection time. These fancy new cars are a new experience for me! LOL!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Oh really? My tune turns off my back 2 O2's, but I assumed I'd still have to swap them out at inspection time. These fancy new cars are a new experience for me! LOL!
LOL, yeah. Technology is a wonderful thing. All the power you could want with great drivability to boot. You really can have your cake and eat it too with street cars these days.

Hell, everyone was telling me how harsh the ride was going to be on 20's and slammed on Sportline springs. So many people said it that it made me think twice about it. So I lowered the car anyways being nervous about it and let me tell you, I think everyone who said that stuff never drove foxbodies because this thing still rides like a Caddy compared to slammed Fox! hahahaha.