Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
maxpayne

Default Auto Insurance

I know insurance rates vary from company to company and person to person. As an anecdote, I recently switched my auto insurance from State Farm to Geico. I have been with State Farm since I started driving and have had the best experiences with them. I have always had a person I could speak with face to face and that person was continually friendly, responsive, knowledgeable, and honest. Also, the coverage was top-notch and my claims were always handled professionally and hassle-free.

However, I soon came to realize those tangibles and intangibles come at a premium - and a high one at that. I did some shopping around and decided to go with Geico based solely on my desired balance between cost and coverage.

It took me literally 30 minutes to make the switch. I saved roughly $100 a month and acquired better liability and collision coverage as well compared to my previous policy with State Farm. For my '14 stang and my wife's '13 Hyundai Sonata, we pay only $140 a month TOTAL for both cars, having full coverage with high liability protection, $500 deductibles for Act of God/Collision, $250 deductibles on Un-/under-insured motorists, and a bunch of other random stuff. For me, the savings and coverage I now have with Geico is worth maybe having lower customer service - and that's "to be determined" and highly debatable.

Not trying to sell Geico or other cheaper companies on you all. In all actuality, I prefer State Farm because of my history with them. But, I just wanted to post this thread to encourage everyone to shop around for better coverage and a lower rate if you think you might be paying too much or if you think your coverage could be better.

How much do you pay for auto insurance? Who are you insured with?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
DirtyD

I'm insured through Geico as well.

BIL $300k/$300k
PDL $100k
PIP $2,500
UMBI $300k/$300k
Uninsured Damage/Deduct $50k/$250
Comprehensive & Collision deduct $500
Roadside service
$30/day rental reimburse.

I pay $98/mo and expect that to go down more come January when my age 25 discount takes affect (hopefully)
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
46Tbird

Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for. Cheap insurance rates are great right up to the point they tell you your car will be fixed with aftermarket crap, or someone sues you for damages outside policy limits. It happens.

I've got Amica, 300/500/300, $250 deductible, $1430/yr. The Haggerty policy for both of my old cars is $210/yr and they have way better coverage, lmao.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
maxpayne

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for. Cheap insurance rates are great right up to the point they tell you your car will be fixed with aftermarket crap, or someone sues you for damages outside policy limits. It happens.
Very true. However, purchasers of auto insurance should always take caution and thoroughly think through which level of liability protection is right for them. Usually, the higher the better.

However, as an anecdote from my extremely short time as a plaintiff's lawyer, injuried persons and their attorneys usually don't like to go after damages outside the policy limits. The main reason is that the process of securing a verdict on liability and collecting on that verdict usually costs more money and time than what is actually awarded by the judge or jury. In my experience, attorneys just want to max out liability policies and move on. If that doesn't cover the injuries, they attempt to start stacking different policies on top of one another to arrive at an amount to cover the injuries/bills. One example is enacting the "under-insured" coverage under the injuried's own insurance policy.

But, it is always better to be safe than sorry!
Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Mrjeremyt

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
This exactly. I'm with Farm Bureau, but I'm sure that having my mother as my agent it helps a little. haha

94 F150 302
New project, thinking built, procharger, powerglide, tubbed, super sleeper
Mrjeremyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Midnight11
El Presidente

Usaa here
Pay 190 for my 13 5.0 and 14 fiesta and I'm 23.

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
2012mustang76123

04 vert z, 12 mustang gt, 10 fusion 1400 yr. full coverage on all step above recommended. AAA texas pay once a year in full. 24 also.
2012mustang76123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
BERT
I love tube socks

I'm with Geico as well. Max coverage I pay $85/mo

Allstate was bending me over and trying to make me like it
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
Dominic Toretto

I swapped from State Farm to Geico as well. When I got the Mustang, my rate all of a sudden increased after 3 months. Oh okay, peace Stafe Farm. And to make matters worse, I took my cancellation notice into the office in person and they continued to draft my bank 3 months after cancelling the policy. My bonus checks a work were pretty high so I didn't notice until the 3rd month. Then had to argue with them for weeks to get them to return my money and they had to mail me a check.

Moral of the story is FUCK State Farm.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
juiced86stang

I will warn yall right now, not all insurance companies are the same. You get what you pay for in most cases. And it has only gotten worse over the past 10 years or so. Many of y'all know me and what I do, but for those that don't I run a paint and body shop, so I deal with insurance on a daily basis. I personally have state farm.
juiced86stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
garner

Geico here, I'm on my mom's. Stang is like $90 a month full coverage with $0 deductibles, mom's car is like $30-40 a month with $0 deductibles also. Helps that she's been with geico for decades
Old 10-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by juiced86stang View Post
I will warn yall right now, not all insurance companies are the same.
Anything specific?

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
five.slow

geico here and i pay 125 a month for the 2011 gt mustang and 2013 edge. both full coverage. it actually went up like 15 bucks when we moved to california. great insurance.
five.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
rriddle3

Certain companies simply do not want to insure certain vehicles. I had been with 21st Century for years and had gotten good rates, but when I got the Mustang things changed. I just switched over to Geico and the same coverage amounts are costing $50 a month less. It pays to check around.
2012 GT Automatic, Kona Blue w/Stone interior
The usual exhaust mods, JLT CAI, Brenspeed tune, BMR LCAs
rriddle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #15
downtime!

2102 GT - Farmers (been with them for over 20 years), well above State minimum on all coverages, pay right at $800 per year (also have home owners policy through them).

1972 Scamp - Hagerty's, agreed value policy ($17,000), mileage allowance of 4500 per year, $276 per year.