Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 PM   #31
re-rx7
Banned

Gtr challenger on the track my ass. It gets its ass mopped up 1.3 secs in the qtr. The gtr is also a 6yr old car and still the benchmark.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #32
DirtyD

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Gtr challenger on the track my ass. It gets its ass mopped up 1.3 secs in the qtr. The gtr is also a 6yr old car and still the benchmark.

1/4 time don't matter with this car, so stop trying to use that as a validation point.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #33
DirtyD

Originally Posted by donutninja View Post
The z/28 is impressive, no doubt, and I'd love to tear around a road course in one but it's never been my choice, visually. I'd also hold out to see what Ford is going to do with the new 2015 IRS and Boss. (unless I'm way behind on things) I was super impressed by the Fiesta and Focus ST's so I know Ford can build a rival to the z/28.

Boss is done and gone. GT350 is likely the next SVT variant
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #34
donutninja

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP View Post
Here is the link to the recent road/track test to Motortrend's YouTube review. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbdhNc_36Kc

I love my Mustang (and would love to challenge and lose to a Z/28), but this thing is out of the Boss's league. The Boss was targeted between the GT500 and the GT. Ford isn't bringing the Boss back, but I am sure a track targeted edition is coming out but not at the level of the Z/28. Don't get me wrong, I still love the ponycar wars that are going on and can't wait for Ford's response but I'm sure the GT350/Mach 1/SVT Cobra or whatever the top dog is going to be called is targeted straight at the ZL1 for all around performance.

I think Chevy did this just to flex their muscles and give a last hurrah to the LS7. This Z/28 challenges the GTR, which is regarded as the giant killer (at $115k+) so to me the Z/28 is a bargain.
Ah, I didn't realize the Boss line was over with. We'll see what happens. I think the new mustang is definitely going after the track day enthusiast a little more than the straight line or maybe they're just modernizing. I was never an American car guy until this past year but have always loved the rivalry between the pony cars.

I am going to miss the LS7. heck. who isn't? You can't deny that was a great motor.
donutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #35
Crimson600+HP

Pobst got it around Barber Motorsport's track in 1:36, the record 2012 GTR (not fully stock) did it in 1:42. I'm sure the GTR wasn't professionally driven, but I'm sure it wasn't piloted by a scrub like me either.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Barber_Motorsports_Park

By these numbers, it's not a challenger, the Z/28 is a destroyer to the GTR. Also, Nissan has updated that thing like almost every year since its release. I don't think anyone in the automotive world considers the current car 6 years old. I am sure someone will do a comparo against these two in the future though. Edge still goes to the Z/28's Super Trofeo tires though.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!

Last edited by Crimson600+HP; 03-26-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #36
re-rx7
Banned

Pobst got it around Barber Motorsport's track in 1:36, the record 2012 GTR (not fully stock) did it in 1:42. I'm sure the GTR wasn't professionally driven, but I'm sure it wasn't piloted by a scrub like me either.

By these numbers, it's not a challenger, the Z/28 is a destroyer to the GTR. Also, Nissan has updated that thing like almost every year since its release. I don't think anyone in the automotive world considers the current car 6 years old. I am sure someone will do a comparo against these two in the future though. Edge still goes to the Z/28's Super Trofeo tires though.
Show me solid proof with the same drivers and we will talk. As is the z28 gets its ass whipped by a 5.0 with radials. A gd drive can make a huge difference. Btw the 2014 gtr is faster then the old. The 12 had alot of understeer Nissan tuned out. Funny they didn't test it at willow. It's slower around the ring then the gtr.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #37
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Never seen it. lol
Wtf is wrong with you? And you were a bowler to. Smh
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #38
fordplay

If GM was confident about it they would have gone to willow, or laguna, but they didn't, it's great to build track cars, but here is the thing GM shouldn't forget, 98% of a cars reputation here is based from light to light and Saturday at the strip followed by tight autocross tracks, do you think this tank will win on a tight autocross track against a spec miata?? And on the way home when a light bolt on mustang beats it from light to light. Ford knew that, the boss not only does well on the track it kills straight lines. This will suffer the same fate at the zl1, over inflated hype and bruised egos of owners
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #39
BV600

Show me solid proof with the same drivers and we will talk. As is the z28 gets its ass whipped by a 5.0 with radials. A gd drive can make a huge difference. Btw the 2014 gtr is faster then the old. The 12 had alot of understeer Nissan tuned out. Funny they didn't test it at willow. It's slower around the ring then the gtr.
By 5.0 with radials are you going back to straight line performance? If so thats back to apples to oranges comparison. I think a z28 could do 11s with a good driver on the strip then again thats like boss owners buying them and using them solely for drag racing.

Ive got my mullet wig still from my 4th gens so im ready
Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #40
saunupe1911

That GT-R was the Track Edition and not a 2015 model nor a Nismo. MotorTrend has confirmed that they will have a Nismo and GT3 later at Laguna Seca. I just read the article last night on my ipad LMAO. It has info that's intentionally missing from the internet article. So yeah it will have the same driver (Randy), same environment etc....I think it's the annual best driver's car competition.

Last edited by saunupe1911; 03-26-2014 at 09:42 AM.
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #41
BERT
I love tube socks

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Never seen it. lol

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Wtf is wrong with you? And you were a bowler to. Smh

FINALLY!!
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #42
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
So yeah it will have the same driver (Randy), same environment etc....I think it's the annual best driver's car competition.
Exactly and I can't wait to see this type of battle. To think a $75K American muscle car will be competing with a $115K+ Nissan and a $130K+ GT3 is an amazing feat for American car manufacturing.

Show me solid proof with the same drivers and we will talk. Funny they didn't test it at willow. It's slower around the ring then the gtr.
I was just pointing out proof at that track. I even acknowleged that they were different drivers so the data should be taken with a grain of salt. But by the same token you note the GTR is faster around the ring, but they were not piloted by the same driver either. Yahoo was the only ones to test these two cars together, but they provide no track times which is lame. Driver said he felt the Nissan was faster with better accelleration, but noted the Z/28 better in the turns and braking department (which on smaller tracks is where time is made). So it is a toss up with these two cars, really dependent on a track. Willow is small without a ton of straights so I give the edge on that track to the Z/28. Open it up with more straights, edge back to the GTR

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...190444455.html

My key factor is every car can put a single fast lap down. I know people on track days that put a faster, single lap down in Porsche's, Vette's, R8's, etc compared to my GT. However, I cross the line first because my brakes hold up better (cooling kits and better pads/fluid) and I can manage my tires. But to be able to do that consisently over 20 minutes is hard on a cars tires and brakes, which are the biggest factors on a real track. Therefore with carbon cermaics that don't fade over time and superior tires give the edge to the Z/28. But I am curious to see what these cars do in a comparo. Knowing car magazines, the GT3 will win though (even if it burns down), the Z/28 will take second and get knocked for poor interior build quality (because racecar), and the GTR will take 3rd because of electronics doing the driving for you.

I can't wait till Randy gets in these cars though and does a real/fair test.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #43
re-rx7
Banned

Based in ring times the z28 beat an 09 gtr. Lolol the gtr is due for a all new chassis soon. The chassis is 6years old and even though they have upgraded it...tere is only so much you can do. Yea 75k and 505hp is heads up with 33k 420. Lol the new mustang is gna be a beast.

Porsche wins because the car is in tune with the driver. I drive my dads 944 every now and then and jeez I love that car.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #44
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
1/4 time don't matter with this car, so stop trying to use that as a validation point.
Lololol does it matter on the gtr? Does it matter on the boss? It matters on any car made for performance.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #45
STROKD
Old School

I think its pretty bad ass... but I already have a heavy track type rattle bucket on the street road race car, that would make the Z look like a Kia anyway.

I dont know why it has to cost a fortune, but GM will sell every one they can build.