The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Dominic Toretto

Default 93 Viper Prototypes to be Destroyed

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...ocid=ansauto11

"Chrysler has ordered students of a small community college in Olympia, Wash., to destroy a Dodge Viper GTS Coupe. And it’s not just any Viper GTS coupe, either — it’s the fourth Viper model off the production line that's been sitting for the past seven years at South Puget Sound Community College.

The pre-production car was donated, along with 92 other Vipers, by Chrysler to technical schools nationwide that offer automotive programs. The problem is, according to professor Norm Chapman, that despite the fact that these Vipers were educational tools that were never meant to see the open road, a couple of them "got loose." And predictably enough for a car with a 8.0-liter V10 underhood and no traction control or ABS to speak of, they were involved in accidents. So now, to mitigate lawsuits, the mint condition example you see before you with VIN number four is going bye-bye.

This particular Viper, while appearing to be a stock GTS coupe, is a prototype from 1992. It has a 600-horsepower V10 engine, a 2,200-pound fiberglass body with a "makeshift hard-top," according to the Tacoma News Tribune. When the GTS debuted in 1996, it came with a 450-horsepower V10 and more conventional body construction with a heavier curb weight.

The thing is with pre-production cars — particularly ones dating from the early ‘90’s — is that whether or not they were donated to schools or given to race teams, they were never built to see public highways. The industry slang for such cars, often released before they are able to meet safety or emissions standards, is “crusher,” because their fate was sealed even before they were born. So maybe it’s not that sad that this supercar, fatally injured-by-law, is meeting its inevitable demise. Wait, what are we talking about? Of course it’s that sad! Stop it Chrysler!

Never fear, though — students are trying to throw a wrench in Chrysler’s plans. Cierra Thomas, along with former student Stormy Hudson-Renstrom, have started a petition online to keep the Vipers out of the crusher.

Let’s hope they can get Chrysler to shift gears on its decision. If not, don't be surprised if you start reading stories like "Rare Dodge Viper disappears from community college garage" or "Third Viper disappearance in three days baffles authorities." This could get serious."

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
JDMLOL

What a shame. Oh well, 93 less Chrysler products around to cause heartaches.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
Crimson600+HP

Chrysler should have crushed these right away to avoid this issue. I know it is a no-no, but they are a liability out there. I just wish there was a better way of preserving these things and ensuring they are never on the road.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
pohnjarker

wish i could buy it and tow it away in the middle of the night and put it up in my garage!!
Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
Dominic Toretto

I wish they would just give me one. It would take far less effort to give one to me than it would to pay someone to crush a car. Juss sayin.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote