Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
brtnstrns

Default Slapping noise on start up - intermittent

I noticed my engine will make a "slapping" sort of noise when I start it up sometimes. Its not every time I start the car but frequently enough for me to notice and catch onto it. Does anyone know what this noise might be?

Noise starts at 0:11 and ends at 0:14

03 DSG Mach 1

Stroked/Forged, Heads, Cams, Long Runner Intake, Built Cobra IRS, Cobra Fuel System
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
re-rx7
Banned

MAybe oil pump related. Maybe it takes a few seconds to get everything lubricated.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
JDMLOL

I know the ls1 based truck motors did something similar. It did it on mine but not nearly as loud. It would do it at least until reached operating temp.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
JDBishopArts

What oil do you run?
JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
brtnstrns

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts View Post
What oil do you run?
Castrol GTX 5W-30 with a Fram Tough Guard filter. I was told on another forum the Fram is a really bad filter to run with the 4V. Also, I was told by the previous owner to not run synthetic till it hit 50k miles (currently at a little over 48k) since the engine was rebuilt not long ago (mileage-wise - year-wise it was 2008).

03 DSG Mach 1

Stroked/Forged, Heads, Cams, Long Runner Intake, Built Cobra IRS, Cobra Fuel System
Old 11-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Sieran

Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
Castrol GTX 5W-30 with a Fram Tough Guard filter. I was told on another forum the Fram is a really bad filter to run with the 4V. Also, I was told by the previous owner to not run synthetic till it hit 50k miles (currently at a little over 48k) since the engine was rebuilt not long ago (mileage-wise - year-wise it was 2008).
I have heard bad things about Fram and their anti-flow back valves on the filters. I had a similar sound on my Jeep Wrangler when I ran a Fram once... switched back to the Mopar one and the noise went away.
Sieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
brtnstrns

Originally Posted by Sieran View Post
I have heard bad things about Fram and their anti-flow back valves on the filters. I had a similar sound on my Jeep Wrangler when I ran a Fram once... switched back to the Mopar one and the noise went away.
Really? That's what the other person said. Seems like its the first step I need to take. Is it likely that something is damaged or am I probably okay? It hasn't been happening for too long.

03 DSG Mach 1

Old 11-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
re-rx7
Banned

The whole mileage thing is BS. You can use synthetic whenever. Switch to a Wix or OE Ford filter see if it helps.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Sieran

Really? That's what the other person said. Seems like its the first step I need to take. Is it likely that something is damaged or am I probably okay? It hasn't been happening for too long.
I have never heard anyone say they had damage from this, but it probably isn't "good" for the engine.

I would think it is just a cheap first step to troubleshoot. Quart or two of oil and a new filter is less than 30 bucks.
Sieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Yagermeister

For some reason I seem to think there might be a TSB for this...take it to your dealer and have them look at it.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
brtnstrns

Originally Posted by Yagermeister View Post
For some reason I seem to think there might be a TSB for this...take it to your dealer and have them look at it.
Oh this car has absolutely zero factory parts on it. In fact the only factory parts are probably the block and the shaker.

03 DSG Mach 1

Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
Yagermeister

Gotcha
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
fordplay

I'd throw some motor honey in the oil and sell it... OK it might not be that bad.. you are thinking its rod knock and you want us to give another answer.. it could .. might maybe be piston slap.. it might have been there since you bought it?? In which case.. allllll ls motors do it, Mercedes do it and some new 5.0 do it.. just keep track of it and see if it gets worse
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote