Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #91
SMERF

Im trying to gain weight right now. 5ft 7 160 pounds. Want to be at 175, been hitting more weight less rep and taking mass gainer and quite a bit more food intake. My metabolism is so high its hard to gain weight
SMERF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #92
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by SMERF View Post
Im trying to gain weight right now. 5ft 7 160 pounds. Want to be at 175, been hitting more weight less rep and taking mass gainer and quite a bit more food intake. My metabolism is so high its hard to gain weight
Same here. I am 6 even and 195 on a fat day. I took a Mass Gainer from GNC one time and I couldn't handle it. One serving was 4 scoops and like 2000 calories. It was ridiculous. There was no way I could consume that as one serving. That was a few years ago. From what I have seen all of the mass gainers just focus on gaining weight, good or bad. They'll have a good amount of protein but an obscene amount of calories. It made me slow, sluggish and tired. I swapped to a simpler whey protein isolate and made more attractive muscle gains that way. But not everyone is the same so if it works the way you like, keep at it.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #93
SMERF

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Same here. I am 6 even and 195 on a fat day. I took a Mass Gainer from GNC one time and I couldn't handle it. One serving was 4 scoops and like 2000 calories. It was ridiculous. There was no way I could consume that as one serving. That was a few years ago. From what I have seen all of the mass gainers just focus on gaining weight, good or bad. They'll have a good amount of protein but an obscene amount of calories. It made me slow, sluggish and tired. I swapped to a simpler whey protein isolate and made more attractive muscle gains that way. But not everyone is the same so if it works the way you like, keep at it.

-Alex
No, you're right. The mass gainers are about 75% belly weight vs muscle. But at a minimum it gives me weight that I can convert to muscle you know. I take Dymatize isopure now and love it but it has little to no carbs. I'll probably just stick to that and alot of eggs and rice / pasta post workout. Dymatize also has great amino's, I saw you just recently started taking some . I'd check em out, best aminos I've personally ever had.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #94
Dominic Toretto

No, you're right. The mass gainers are about 75% belly weight vs muscle. But at a minimum it gives me weight that I can convert to muscle you know. I take Dymatize isopure now and love it but it has little to no carbs. I'll probably just stick to that and alot of eggs and rice / pasta post workout. Dymatize also has great amino's, I saw you just recently started taking some . I'd check em out, best aminos I've personally ever had.
Well fat cells are fat cells and muscle cells are muscle cells, there's no way to convert one to another. Complex carbs are good. I've minimized ccs in my diet for the time being since I am in a cutting phase and pairing that with more cardio. Trying to build muscle but, lose some of the fat I have gained. My lunches/dinners consist of mixed veggies and grilled chicken. The carbs I do get, I get from protein shakes but, that's it. Also I saw a nice tip from Lee Hayward showing to do some cardio in between sets of heavy lifting. Thanks for the tips on the BCAAs!

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 11-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #95
SMERF

Well fat cells are fat cells and muscle cells are muscle cells, there's no way to convert one to another. Complex carbs are good. I've minimized ccs in my diet for the time being since I am in a cutting phase and pairing that with more cardio. Trying to build muscle but, lose some of the fat I have gained. My lunches/dinners consist of mixed veggies and grilled chicken. The carbs I do get, I get from protein shakes but, that's it. Also I saw a nice tip from Lee Hayward showing to do some cardio in between sets of heavy lifting. Thanks for the tips on the BCAAs!

-Alex
All I know is last time I took mass gainer I got as big as I am now. Prior to I couldn't gain weight or muscle at all. The way I see it our body is like a statue. That excess weight gives me the ability to fuel my muscles and chisel down. Im eating pretty heavy just trying to gain, it's really hard for me lol. I've never seen anybody really cut up gain alot of muscle. Bodybuilders always get kinda chubby then chisel down
Old 11-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #96
Dominic Toretto

All I know is last time I took mass gainer I got as big as I am now. Prior to I couldn't gain weight or muscle at all. The way I see it our body is like a statue. That excess weight gives me the ability to fuel my muscles and chisel down. Im eating pretty heavy just trying to gain, it's really hard for me lol. I've never seen anybody really cut up gain alot of muscle. Bodybuilders always get kinda chubby then chisel down
Yeah, they go through a bulking and cutting phase. Very common.

-Alex

Old 11-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #97
SMERF

So you think adding the extra weight doesn't help with muscle growth? Not trying to have a back and forth just tryna figure out the best way to get relatively quick gains. Any tips you got would be cool
Old 11-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #98
BV600

Im in your boat but worse. 6'1 and 145lbs. I used to be 175lbs which took me a year to get there from 150lbs. I was eating so much I felt like I was going to puke all the time and was in the gym morning and night.

I ended up getting pretty sick (ms) and losing it all with all the initial bs that goes along with ms (long story)

Now I cant gain weight for anything, and im to lazy to get into the gym
Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #99
Dominic Toretto

So you think adding the extra weight doesn't help with muscle growth? Not trying to have a back and forth just tryna figure out the best way to get relatively quick gains. Any tips you got would be cool
Well there's weight that you want and weight that you may not want. You'd really need to assess it on an individual basis. If you are getting the results and looks that you want, then stick to it. That's the key I would advise anyone. No one's physiology is going to be identical to anyone else's. With that said, you can gain weight primarily as muscle or fat. You get stronger adding muscle, obviously, but gaining fat will not increase your strength. Me personally, I don't mind having a little bit of fat because I don't like the super-defined, "cut" look that many guys like to achieve. I do admire Bruce Lee but, would never like for myself to be so fat reduced that you can see each strand muscle fiber lol. I used to be 145lbs, so like you, I did the same thing and took a LOT of mass gainer. It did the job of getting me big, but when I got a size I wanted to I changed over to something with less calories so I could trim down a little fat and continue building muscle.

-Alex

Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #100
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Well, couple days until I head to the doctor to check out my results. Should be interesting to see where I'm at now that I'm eating mainly a plant based diet now. For the first time over a Thanksgiving holiday I didn't gain any weight from eating too damn much!

I've been doing yoga for abit now which I'm really enjoying. I'm going to step up to 4 days a week at the gym to push some more weight around. Gotta get to that goal weight!
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #101
SMERF

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Well, couple days until I head to the doctor to check out my results. Should be interesting to see where I'm at now that I'm eating mainly a plant based diet now. For the first time over a Thanksgiving holiday I didn't gain any weight from eating too damn much!

I've been doing yoga for abit now which I'm really enjoying. I'm going to step up to 4 days a week at the gym to push some more weight around. Gotta get to that goal weight!
Get it bro. I've been trying to up my activity as well. Just started doing mountain bike trails on the weekend which has been a blast.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #102
BERT
I love tube socks

Last winter I got up to 210 and that was eating everything in site. Got down to 196 with just a better diet and no cardio. Already back up to 205 and haven't really been trying to add weight this time around but i'm not worried about it. Going to keep this going throughout the winter and if my damn shoulder will stop hurting maybe I can get 315 up on the bench. I'm so close lol

Maybe i'll start cutting sooner next year and actually do some cardio. Damn I hate cardio
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #103
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
Damn I hate cardio
Same. Takes too damn long.

-Alex

Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #104
BERT
I love tube socks

Same. Takes too damn long.

-Alex

Well, I used to not mind it but as I got older my deviated septum got worse. It's at a damn 90* angle right now and I can't breath out of my left nostril. So I use that excuse a lot lol
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #105
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post

Remind me not to watch that. You doing the "downward dog" can't be pretty
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote