The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #106
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
Last winter I got up to 210 and that was eating everything in site. Got down to 196 with just a better diet and no cardio. Already back up to 205 and haven't really been trying to add weight this time around but i'm not worried about it. Going to keep this going throughout the winter and if my damn shoulder will stop hurting maybe I can get 315 up on the bench. I'm so close lol

Maybe i'll start cutting sooner next year and actually do some cardio. Damn I hate cardio
Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Same. Takes too damn long.

-Alex
I've found that doing an activity you enjoy for cardio makes it MUCH easier to get yourself do it and stick with it. It's one of the reasons I love my jiujitsu so much. Not only do you get an amazing cardio workout and fun ass hell, but it builds your core better than anything else I've ever done. Jogging/running is boring and also painful on my damn shins.

I also like riding bikes and swimming which is great on my old abused joints.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #107
BERT
I love tube socks

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
remind me not to watch that. You doing the "downward dog" can't be pretty

lmao!!
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #108
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
I've found that doing an activity you enjoy for cardio makes it MUCH easier to get yourself do it and stick with it. It's one of the reasons I love my jiujitsu so much. Not only do you get an amazing cardio workout and fun ass hell, but it builds your core better than anything else I've ever done. Jogging/running is boring and also painful on my damn shins.

I've noticed that about the shins. Weird, I don't know how to explain that. Running should be painful. Maybe I am planting my feet wrong. I have had to switch to powerwalking. That or just cycle some unweighted lunges etc between my sets on my heavy lifting days.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #109
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Remind me not to watch that. You doing the "downward dog" can't be pretty
LOL!!

Funny though, I wouldn't have known what that was called before doing Yoga. Apparently you must have been jerking off to yoga videos in your youth to know that. lmao.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #110
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
I've noticed that about the shins. Weird, I don't know how to explain that. Running should be painful. Maybe I am planting my feet wrong. I have had to switch to powerwalking. That or just cycle some unweighted lunges etc between my sets on my heavy lifting days.

-Alex
Well, I'm older than you not to mention much fatter at the moment. I still walk in the mornings after breakfast. Once I got a good pair of supportive shoes it helped quite abit. Running/walking on grass rather than concrete can help too. There is an indoor track at my gym that is a rubber on cold days.

When I lift, I don't train legs much. No need to really. My legs are already tree trunks from martial arts.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #111
blownaltered
I have a small penis

LOL!!

Funny though, I wouldn't have known what that was called before doing Yoga. Apparently you must have been jerking off to yoga videos in your youth to know that. lmao.
I was actually doing yoga a few months ago to try and help my hips. I'm supposed to be lifting low weight with my legs multiple times a week. Ang has been up my ass for me to get my fat ass back in the gym so I can start walking without a limp. By the way who didn't jerk off to yoga videos when they were a kid. We didn't have the fast paced internet like these kids do now days, its all we had. That and the underwear adds that came in the mail.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #112
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I was actually doing yoga a few months ago to try and help my hips. I'm supposed to be lifting low weight with my legs multiple times a week. Ang has been up my ass for me to get my fat ass back in the gym so I can start walking without a limp. By the way who didn't jerk off to yoga videos when they were a kid. We didn't have the fast paced internet like these kids do now days, its all we had. That and the underwear adds that came in the mail.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #113
SMERF

What gym do you train at ? I used to train at star jiu jitsu and my stepdad goes to Octagon.
SMERF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #114
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by SMERF View Post
What gym do you train at ? I used to train at star jiu jitsu and my stepdad goes to Octagon.
I train at a few places. Just depends on scheduling. My lineage is from Rorion/Rener/Ryron Gracie.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #115
Dominic Toretto

http://sportsnutrition.thefatburning...trick/?sid=TFB

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 01-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #116
Dominic Toretto

John Berardi, Ph.D..

Founder, Precision Nutrition, www.precisionnutrition.com

GET UPDATES FROM John Berardi, Ph.D.
Eggs: Healthy or Not?

Posted: 07/16/2013 11:23 am

Eggs: They're just one of those foods. Seems like every other week there's an egg controversy.

Are they good for you, bad for you, or somewhere in between?

As a Ph.D.-trained nutritional biochemist and a full-time nutrition coach, I've long been fascinated with this debate. In fact, I've often wondered...

How did eggs get so controversial in the first place?

I guess a lot of it has to do with cholesterol. A large egg contains about 185 mg of cholesterol. And since the American Heart Association (AHA) recommends a limit of 300 mg per day, eat two eggs and you've exceeded that limit.

(Cue up the post-breakfast guilt and shame.)

So, eggs are bad then?

Not so fast. There happens to be a problem with the AHA's recommendation. It assumes that when you eat more cholesterol (from eggs and other animal foods), your blood cholesterol increases.

Assume that and, of course, it makes sense to eat fewer eggs. Your blood cholesterol would be lower. Your heart and arteries would stay healthier for longer.

But here's the AHA's dirty little secret: Your body doesn't work that way.

Indeed, the research consistently and reliably shows that the cholesterol you eat has very little impact on how much cholesterol is in your blood.

If that sounds weird, maybe this will help...

You see, your body makes cholesterol. Lots of it, in fact. Every single day you produce between 1 and 2 grams of it on your own. (That's 5-10 times the cholesterol in a large egg.)

The interesting twist? When you eat more cholesterol from foods like eggs, your body produces less of it. And when you eat less cholesterol from foods like eggs, your body produces more.

That's because you have a cholesterol "set point." Think of it like a thermostat that's largely determined by your genetics, exercise habits, and stress. Funny enough, diet plays a surprisingly small role.

And here's another thing... cholesterol isn't so bad for you anyway.

In fact, cholesterol happens to be one of the most important nutrients in your body.

It's in every cell membrane (outer layer). It's a requirement for growth (in infants and adults). And it's required for the production of many hormones.

If all this is true, then why do so many people tell you to avoid eggs?

Simple: Egg paranoia has been based on the old assumption that eating the yolks will raise blood cholesterol (and increase your risk for artery and heart disease).

And even though the research has disproven the hypothesis -- for most of the population -- the medical community has been slow to reverse recommendations.

Of course, I get it. Most of us aren't in a rush to admit we're wrong. Especially when we've been wrong for years. And on the world's largest stage.

Regardless, researchers have looked at the diets of hundreds of thousands of people. And they've suggested that consuming eggs every day is not associated with cholesterol problems or heart disease.

(There's only one possible exception here: diabetics and the 0.2 percent of the population with familial hypercholesterolemia. More research has to be done to confirm this.)

Interestingly, in controlled trials -- the best kind of research -- where people were instructed to eat up to three eggs per day while on a weight loss diet, good things happened.

These folks lost weight, decreased inflammation and either maintained or improved their blood cholesterol levels.

(They were consuming 555 mg of cholesterol every day from eggs alone!)

Bottom line: Unless you have diabetes or a rare genetic disorder, eating a few eggs every day is not bad for you.

Interestingly, there's a more important question here that few people ever think to ask...

Could eating whole eggs every day (including the yolks) actually be good for you?

A lot of experts think so.

You see, egg yolks are one of the most nutrient-dense, antioxidant-rich and vitamin-laden foods on the planet! (Compared to the yolks, the whites are pretty much protein and water.)

Egg yolks contain 90 percent of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, pantothenic acid and B12 of the egg. In addition the yolk contains all of the fat-soluble components, such as vitamins A, D and E, not to mention the heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.

Egg yolks are also a rich source of some other very interesting nutrients such as choline, lutein and zeaxanthin.

Choline is essential for cardiovascular and brain function. Eating more of it may mean mean less inflammation, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimers, and more.

Lutein and zeaxanthin are the major antioxidants in eggs. They protect the eyes by filtering harmful light wavelengths and lowering risk of macular degeneration.

Indeed, those people eating only egg whites -- or avoiding eggs entirely -- are missing out on many of these key nutrients.

But, is there ever a time to ditch the yolks?

There probably is. For some; but not most.

We already discussed diabetics and those with familial hypercholesterolemia. For those individuals, it's probably best not to eat three eggs every single day.

For athletes competing in weight-class sports, every calorie counts. When cutting weight, removing the yolks can help keep protein higher (which helps preserves muscle mass) while keeping calories lower.

(Each egg yolk contains 6 g of fat and 54 kcal. So even though they're full of nutrients, they still do contain calories.)

And one more consideration: people on high sugar and high carbohydrate diets.

Of course, diets high in sugar aren't ideal, whether you eat eggs or not. But, eat a lot of carbohydrates, sugar, and fat (from eggs or any other high fat / high cholesterol food) and many disease risks go up.

In the end -- for most people -- eggs won't increase blood cholesterol or the risk of heart or artery disease.

In fact, assuming the diet's not high in sugar or carbs, eggs are probably even an awesome addition to the diet.

However, there's no reason to get crazy -- as some have done -- and try to convince everyone to eat whole eggs every single day. I, for one, don't even do that myself.

That's not because I'm afraid of eggs, mind you. I actually like them and think they're great for me. Rather, it's because I vary my diet, rarely eating the same foods every single day.

And that's really my hope for everyone interested in better health:
•Avoid sensationalistic food fads (like banning eggs)
•Eat a varied diet of nutrient-rich whole foods (including eggs)
•Seek out the help of a coach when more fine-tuning is required

John Berardi, Ph.D., is a founder of Precision Nutrition, the world's largest online nutrition coaching company. In the last 5 years, Dr. Berardi and his team have personally helped over 20,000 people lose over 300,000 pounds of body fat through their renowned coaching program, Lean Eating.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-b...b_3499583.html

-Alex

Old 01-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #117
BERT
I love tube socks

So eggs are bad for you again? I'm not reading all of that

I had three egg whites this morning, not gonna worry about it lol
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #118
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I've been trying to educate myself as much as possible on the subject of nutrition. There is so much information out there its really overwhelming. It seems that there is a study on everything regarding it all. For every study there is a direct counter study by a different doctor saying the exact opposite. Just like this subject on eggs. Its exhausting trying to keep up with it all. I find myself constantly questioning if i can trust any of it all.

A lot of times you find out these studies are funded by the people who benefit from it one way or another being the farmers or the drug companies. You cant trust ANY labels on any foods because they are always misleading or just outright false.

At this point i dont feel i can trust anything that isnt a plant based whole fresh food.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #119
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
So eggs are bad for you again? I'm not reading all of that

I had three egg whites this morning, not gonna worry about it lol
LOL, this study above shows that eggs are good for you. Read it in your off time.

-Alex

Old 02-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #120
Dominic Toretto

http://onedayfatloss.com/?sid=bt0201

-Alex