Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Joey289

Default catback fitment issues

When I installed my catback everything went smoothly. I had access to a lift. I made sure everything was fit up nice and then tightened everything down. The tips were centered and spaced evenly ...etc. After about 2 weeks of driving I have notices the passenger side tip has moved in and rubs the rear bumper (see pictures) I have loosed the connection, moved it, re-tightened it while holding it where I want and it stays. However, after driving to work and back the next day it has moved back over.

Has anyone had this issue? Also do your tips stick this far out?

Last edited by Joey289; 04-26-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Joey289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
merlinmol

Are you using an impact or hand tightening? Mine moved a little because of bottoming out, we re-adjusted everything then put spot welds in place, but it shouldn't be moving if you don't hit like i was.

Also, I wanna hear your car at some point when we have a meet. I have only heard the borla's on bad videos or the v6's.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Joey289

Hand tightening.

I usually can tighten more than my impact....I can go back over every bolt with a torque wrench if anyone knows the torque values these need.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
03MachMe

Default Re: 2013 gt: Borla s-type catback fitment issues

Yea all the aftermarket tips stick out on the 13 due to the difference in bumpers from the 11-12, some more than others. A boss rear valence helps them from looking so out of place. As for the pipes moving I wish I could help you there

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Joey289

I might just need to put it back on the lift... loosen every single bolt..re-position it all and re-tighten. It will probably hold/stay in place better now that it as been through enough heat cycles.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Joey289

Here is a picture of the tips right after I finished installing.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Dan12GT

I have the same catback and love it! Sound is amazing! However I too have had some headaches with getting the pipes aligned. I would suggest looking at the pipes coming from the cats back to the axles. Make sure those are where they should be and the clamps are TIGHT! I had a recent issue where I had to take off the driver side pipe to work on my UCA. I accidently got the middle section pipes twisted a bit too much and it caused the muffler section to move. I would suggest to try and move around the pipes in the middle as well and make sure those are super tight. With this catback there are 6 total clamps you have to make sure are super tight to prevent it from shifting. Having a friend hold things in place is always helpful too.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Joey289

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
I have the same catback and love it! Sound is amazing! However I too have had some headaches with getting the pipes aligned. I would suggest looking at the pipes coming from the cats back to the axles. Make sure those are where they should be and the clamps are TIGHT! I had a recent issue where I had to take off the driver side pipe to work on my UCA. I accidently got the middle section pipes twisted a bit too much and it caused the muffler section to move. I would suggest to try and move around the pipes in the middle as well and make sure those are super tight. With this catback there are 6 total clamps you have to make sure are super tight to prevent it from shifting. Having a friend hold things in place is always helpful too.
This is kind of what I thought. The bad thing is it all looks aligned until you drive it lol. So I guess it is a guessing game.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Dan12GT

Ya its a bit of a pain because you have extra piping to deal with you normally don't have with just an axle back. It will just take some messing with. I played with mine a lot when I first got it to eliminate leaks / alignment issues.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
jng2985

Had the same issue, until I deleted the resonators and had pipe welded up.. Now they're perfect and haven't moved at all in 5k miles..
jng2985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
DirtyD

Default 2013 gt: Borla s-type catback fitment issues

Didn't read all the posts, but I will say I wasn't impressed with the out of the box fitment on a set of borla ataks I installed on a buddies car. The hangers didn't line up at all to the stock location, and I had to do a lot of bending and manipulating to get them on and lined up right. Still didn't go on perfectly, but we ran out of daylight
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Dan12GT

I never had any issues with the locations of the mounting hardware. My main issues were with getting all the pipes aligned and that comes with really any exhaust system that has multiple pieces. Doing it on a garage floor makes it much more difficult as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
Joey289

Borla is giving me a new passenger muffler under warranty. He claims it is caused by the flare on the pipe that meets the over axle tube being out of tolerance causing the clamp to loosen when heated.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Joey289

He just emailed me this as well....looks like I will be getting more than just the passenger muffler!!!

"One last question. We have just released a new set up for your ’13 Mustang that will actually pull the tips in a little tighter. Is this something that you would like or do you like the tips sticking out a little like you already have. Let me know and I will finish this up for you today."

I really like when companies have good customer service!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
DirtyD

Default 2013 gt: Borla s-type catback fitment issues

Originally Posted by Joey289 View Post
He just emailed me this as well....looks like I will be getting more than just the passenger muffler!!!

"One last question. We have just released a new set up for your ’13 Mustang that will actually pull the tips in a little tighter. Is this something that you would like or do you like the tips sticking out a little like you already have. Let me know and I will finish this up for you today."

I really like when companies have good customer service!
Man, I wonder if they would hook up my buddy with his Atak's since they stick out a bit.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote