Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #46
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Not everyone does the Saleen/boss mods. I purposely haven't done those because they are so popular and because I like the throwback to 68-70 fastback look.

As for the lights, I don't think they belong on a muscle car. That's just a difference between our generations is all. I think the HIDS/LEDS belong on Hondas/Euro cars and don't look right on a muscle car. To me, it makes as much sense as putting Yenko stripes on a Civic.
I agree
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #47
Dominic Toretto

As for the lights, I don't think they belong on a muscle car. That's just a difference between our generations is all. I think the HIDS/LEDS belong on Hondas/Euro cars and don't look right on a muscle car. To me, it makes as much sense as putting Yenko stripes on a Civic.
I agree and disagree. I don't think there is anything wrong with HID on the cars but to me, the design of them just looks like "trying too hard." At least on the Mustang. On the Camaro and Challenger they look well done and "natural" on the car. A different design may make me like them more on the Mustangs.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #48
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
I agree and disagree. I don't think there is anything wrong with HID on the cars but to me, the design of them just looks like "trying too hard." At least on the Mustang. On the Camaro and Challenger they look well done and "natural" on the car. A different design may make me like them more on the Mustangs.

-Alex
I can agree with that. I realize that everything evolves in time and styles change. I'm not so old that I'm stuck in my ways, but some things like super bright LED's on a muscle car just don't fit. The HIDS that actually fit/blend with the car I could wrap my head around but the strips look silly like they are trying too hard to be an Audi. It's a muscle car, not a Honda or a BMW/Audi.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #49
Dominic Toretto

but the strips look silly like they are trying too hard to be an Audi. It's a muscle car, not a Honda or a BMW/Audi.
Agreed.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #50
kn7671

Not everyone does the Saleen/boss mods. I purposely haven't done those because they are so popular and because I like the throwback to 68-70 fastback look.

I also think the 13+ front ends make the Mustang look even bigger than it already is then people add these ridiculously big front end splitters that are completely nonfunctional to make the car look even bigger. It's just more fluff to appeal to the new generation is all that is all about "more". Muscle cars aren't about fluff, they are about performance.
Well in this regard, most of the wheels and tires we install are fluff as well, since 18's and 19's will generally out handle 20's. The fluff continues with the lowering springs, since you really only need better dampers for the street driving. It's continues more with axle back exhaust kits, all for noise, not power, or the GT500 spoilers, no spoilers, cowl hoods, Boss grilles, bar style grilles, tinted lights, quarter window louvers, etc...

What I'm trying to point out is that each piece has a unique meaning to each person, whether questionably functional or purely to be aesthetically pleasing, there is no clear way to define what should or should not belong.

If we truly only cared about muscle, we would have all adopted the basic Ford Fairmont body years ago and tossed in more powerful motors, full exhaust, and gears for an all in the name of... Whatever you call it...
Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #51
46Tbird

If American Muscle ever releases a '13-14 style tail light for the '10-12 cars, I'll be on them like a duck on a june bug. That is really the only place the earlier cars are lacking compared to the later ones. I think AM had plans to make them, but Ford may have made them stop for copyright infringement. At least that's what I read through the lines. And I'm not putting a bunch of silly window tint, or vinyl, or 'nightshades' spray paint all over my tail lights. I don't hate them that much!

The REAL problem with the rear of these cars is the gigantic dinner-plate sized 'faux gas cap' they tacked to the back of each and every one of them, and they scaled-up the tail lights to match. Bleh.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #52
46Tbird

Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
If we truly only cared about muscle, we would have all adopted the basic Ford Fairmont body years ago and tossed in more powerful motors, full exhaust, and gears for an all in the name of... Whatever you call it...
Some of us DO do that.

I pulled up at a light next to a Ruby Red '14 GT last week. It was STUNNING. I was trying to give the guy a thumbs-up but he was either in his own world or ignoring me, lol.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #53
Midnight11
El Presidente

But you put vinyl tint on your lights Steve? Lol

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #54
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
But you put vinyl tint on your lights Steve? Lol
It's coming off as soon as I get the chance to do it.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #55
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Well in this regard, most of the wheels and tires we install are fluff as well, since 18's and 19's will generally out handle 20's. The fluff continues with the lowering springs, since you really only need better dampers for the street driving. It's continues more with axle back exhaust kits, all for noise, not power, or the GT500 spoilers, no spoilers, cowl hoods, Boss grilles, bar style grilles, tinted lights, quarter window louvers, etc...

What I'm trying to point out is that each piece has a unique meaning to each person, whether questionably functional or purely to be aesthetically pleasing, there is no clear way to define what should or should not belong.

As far as wheels go, I'll put up my 20's against anyone's 18/19 inch wheels on this board in regards to performance.

I don't considering lowering springs fluff at all. Yes, it's visually appealing, but lowering a car's center of gravity greatly improves handling. Our Mustangs handle like a boat at stock height.

Again, I disagree with your exhaust comment. Aftermarket exhaust greatly improves airflow and reduces back pressure therfor releasing more power. The added bonus is the muscle car tone can be modified to be more pleasing to the ear to sound like a muscle car, rather than quiet as a Camry in stock form.

I do agree with your statement in regards to visual mods though. All of that stuff is subjective to individual tastes.

Form follows function.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #56
Midnight11
El Presidente

Rivets ftw!

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #57
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
Rivets ftw!
Damn sheetmetal wheels!!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #58
re-rx7
Banned

As far as wheels go, I'll put up my 20's against anyone's 18/19 inch wheels on this board in regards to performance.

I don't considering lowering springs fluff at all. Yes, it's visually appealing, but lowering a car's center of gravity greatly improves handling. Our Mustangs handle like a boat at stock height.

Again, I disagree with your exhaust comment. Aftermarket exhaust greatly improves airflow and reduces back pressure therfor releasing more power. The added bonus is the muscle car tone can be modified to be more pleasing to the ear to sound like a muscle car, rather than quiet as a Camry in stock form.

I do agree with your statement in regards to visual mods though. All of that stuff is subjective to individual tastes.

Form follows function.
Agrre with suspension. Lot of brake dive in these cars. Disagree with wheels comment. Stock to stock your big ass wheels vs my stock 18's will make a difference.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #59
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Agrre with suspension. Lot of brake dive in these cars. Disagree with wheels comment. Stock to stock your big ass wheels vs my stock 18's will make a difference.
Do explain. If you explaination contains "I heard" I will ban you for the day. lol
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #60
DirtyD

I think each style has their own likes and dislikes for me. I like the front end of both the 11/12 and 13 cars. I think Ford could've done a few things differently/better on th 13 front end, but oh well. I would've rather then tried to freshen up the 11/12 front end and massage it a little more than stick a combo GT500/V6 front end on it. The rear is hands down 13 all day.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote