Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #76
Yagermeister

If N/A 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 will be fine. Personally 1 7/8 is great for blown applications and 1 3/4 for 302 cubic in n/a
Old 09-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #77
Oxford14Stang

Originally Posted by Yagermeister View Post
If N/A 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 will be fine. Personally 1 7/8 is great for blown applications and 1 3/4 for 302 cubic in n/a
Well that's exactly the answer I was looking for. So because I plan to go turbo in a year or so but will be n/a for now the 1 7/8 won't be over kill or cost me any power loss? as the 1 3/4 would be great for N/A regardless.

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #78
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
I'm just not sure what size headers I should run. Again will be N/A for awhile so I dont mind "wasting" the money for now for the right size headers and than sell them and go bigger. But would I make more power with the larger diam. while being n/a or would it just be overkill.
Both headers on a N/A setup will make similar peak HP. Difference is; the smaller header diameter will make torque, and more of it, sooner and more than likely more peak torque.

Headers are efficient until they become a restriction. In the case of a N/A, 302ci motor a 1-7/8 header is overkill and can therefore benefit with the increase in torque you find in a smaller design. A 370ci motor (LS3 etc) or a boosted 302.... 1-7/8 all day.

Personally 1 7/8 is great for blown applications and 1 3/4 for 302 cubic in n/a
This^

Last edited by TrueStreetTim; 09-14-2013 at 06:31 PM.
TrueStreetTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #79
Oxford14Stang

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim View Post
Both headers on a N/A setup will make similar peak HP. Difference is; the smaller header diameter will make torque, and more of it, sooner and more than likely more peak torque.

Headers are efficient until they become a restriction. In the case of a N/A, 302ci motor a 1-7/8 header is overkill and can therefore benefit with the increase in torque you find in a smaller design. A 370ci motor (LS3 etc) or a boosted 302.... 1-7/8 all day.

This^

as the smaller diameter will make more tq, how much more are we talking about? I'm just shooting for 420-425ish hp and as close to possible tq to that horsepower. In a perfect world i'd like 420-425hp and 395-405tq

Old 09-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #80
Oxford14Stang

Thanks guys for all the answers and time. sorry if i'm confusing/bugging the hell out of u or just thinking way too much about the topic, just wanted opinions from people with more experiences on the topic and who've seen the setups.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #81
wbt

I agree with you. Like I said havn't seen these motors fail but that doesn't mean it wont lol. IMO they can handle it. They can take one hell of a beating no doubt, but for those who really know me would be the first to tell you I've got some of the worst luck out there, so I personally won't push it beyond 7k which is my shift point. As far as Pypes, why pypes if you dont mind me asking, just wanting your insight and any info i can get from you, thanks.
1. Pypes are the only stepped header for these cars. 1 3/4" to 1 7/8".
2. They have the correct primary to collector firing order placement.
3. They fit very well and tuck nicely.

I think they have had a bad rap in the past but on the 2011+ 5.0 they are at the top for design, fit and quality. You don't have to donate a kidney to buy a set either.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #82
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

how much more are we talking about?
Sounds like we will all find out soon.

Thanks guys for all the answers and time. sorry if i'm confusing/bugging the hell out of u or just thinking way too much about the topic, just wanted opinions from people with more experiences on the topic and who've seen the setups.
DFW50's always delivers.

Last edited by TrueStreetTim; 09-14-2013 at 06:33 PM.
TrueStreetTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #83
downtime!

Well that's exactly the answer I was looking for. So because I plan to go turbo in a year or so but will be n/a for now the 1 7/8 won't be over kill or cost me any power loss? as the 1 3/4 would be great for N/A regardless.
So, knowing full well that you intend to go turbo, you would still buy and install parts that will instantly become useless when you fulfill your plans? The factory exhaust is plenty efficient on these cars, and wouldn't be a hindrance to making power until you get well up into the big numbers. Actually, the same could be said for the intake system as well. I know several mid 11 second cars that still use the stock airbox and headers.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #84
Oxford14Stang

Originally Posted by wbt View Post
1. Pypes are the only stepped header for these cars. 1 3/4" to 1 7/8".
2. They have the correct primary to collector firing order placement.
3. They fit very well and tuck nicely.

I think they have had a bad rap in the past but on the 2011+ 5.0 they are at the top for design, fit and quality. You don't have to donate a kidney to buy a set either.
That's man, something I just may have to consider looking into

Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #85
Oxford14Stang

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
So, knowing full well that you intend to go turbo, you would still buy and install parts that will instantly become useless when you fulfill your plans? The factory exhaust is plenty efficient on these cars, and wouldn't be a hindrance to making power until you get well up into the big numbers. Actually, the same could be said for the intake system as well. I know several mid 11 second cars that still use the stock airbox and headers.
Yes and no? I dont know how to really explain my dumb thoughts or why i even plan to waste the money. I want/plan to go turbo. key word being want. doesn't really mean i will you know? anything can happen. as for now I'm willing to spend the money to buy the parts that will make the car faster/more fun to drive while i'm still far away from ever going turboed. That's why I was asking. I have always lived by the old saying "torque wins races and horsepower sells cars." so at the moment keeping my tq as close to my hp is my main objective. as for install, i work at a ford dealership in the shop and have well over 15k in tools installing/removing isn't an issue. and I can always pull off parts and sell them used and try to get back as much as i can

Old 09-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #86
downtime!

Yes and no? I dont know how to really explain my dumb thoughts or why i even plan to waste the money. I want/plan to go turbo. key word being want. doesn't really mean i will you know? anything can happen. as for now I'm willing to spend the money to buy the parts that will make the car faster/more fun to drive while i'm still far away from ever going turboed. That's why I was asking. I have always lived by the old saying "torque wins races and horsepower sells cars." so at the moment keeping my tq as close to my hp is my main objective. as for install, i work at a ford dealership in the shop and have well over 15k in tools installing/removing isn't an issue. and I can always pull off parts and sell them used and try to get back as much as i can
I understand the logic, but more money has been wasted buying uneeded parts than probably anything else. It's nice to have a plan and stick to it, although I never have either!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #87
Oxford14Stang

I understand the logic, but more money has been wasted buying uneeded parts than probably anything else. It's nice to have a plan and stick to it, although I never have either!
haha i hear you on that man! obviously headers in general will provide better gains it all just boils down to do you want to spend the money for this "x" amount of gains. There's so much money wasted in unneeded parts when people sell cars/trade them in too lol

Old 09-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #88
downtime!

haha i hear you on that man! obviously headers in general will provide better gains it all just boils down to do you want to spend the money for this "x" amount of gains. There's so much money wasted in unneeded parts when people sell cars/trade them in too lol
Headers are probably the worst offenders though, especially for these cars. The 10-12 hp gain isn't worth the cost at all in my opinion, unless you going with a max effort N/A build and need those last few ponies.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #89
Oxford14Stang

Headers are probably the worst offenders though, especially for these cars. The 10-12 hp gain isn't worth the cost at all in my opinion, unless you going with a max effort N/A build and need those last few ponies.
falling back onto that goal again. 420-425ish hp and as much tq to that as possible. just want a fun street car that I can lay into and have a blast with the few trips out to the track. wheels/tire/driveshaft first though.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #90
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I don't think Oxford seems to understand you don't use your standard headers for a turbo application rather than using turbo headers that are meant for the kit.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote