Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #61
DirtyD

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Stock to stock your big ass wheels vs my stock 18's will make a difference.
No, just no.

His wheels weight as much as your stock 18s do. The only thing Steve would be lacking in would be cornering ability as his sidewall is much shorter than yours, but it would be made up by the fact his tires have a full 2-3 inches more surface contact to the pavement than your 18s have.

rotating mass > static/unsprung (dead) mass all day long.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #62
re-rx7
Banned

I know. Had my civic on stock 15's then decided to go to 17's. I didnt notice it when i went up to the 17's but when I went back to 15's HOLY SHIT! The difference was huge. Granted with the lower power output of the civic the difference would be greater but the same should hold true on a more powerful car no matter.

Why make skinny wheels if there is not a need and they do not make a differnce? Plus the contact patch of the wider tires creates more friction on the surface of the road. This also soaks up some power. Take a wheel barrow put a skinny tire on say a 235 and push it. Then put a 275 or 295 on there and see if there is a difference in effort to push it.

Last edited by re-rx7; 07-08-2013 at 10:55 AM.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #63
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
No, just no.

His wheels weight as much as your stock 18s do. The only thing Steve would be lacking in would be cornering ability as his sidewall is much shorter than yours, but it would be made up by the fact his tires have a full 2-3 inches more surface contact to the pavement than your 18s have.

What about my 18's?
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #64
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
What about my 18's?
your a gd example of my theory. Theory.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #65
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
No, just no.

Exactly.

I know. Had my civic on stock 15's then decided to go to 17's. I didnt notice it when i went up to the 17's but when I went back to 15's HOLY SHIT! The difference was huge. Granted with the lower power output of the civic the difference would be greater but the same should hold true on a more powerful car no matter.

Why make skinny wheels if there is not a need and they do not make a differnce? Plus the contact patch of the wider tires creates more friction on the surface of the road. This also soaks up some power. Take a wheel barrow put a skinny tire on say a 235 and push it. Then put a 275 or 295 on there and see if there is a difference in effort to push it.
Just...stop.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #66
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Just...stop.
If Im wrong prove it.

Explain how Blck2012gt picked up power?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #67
46Tbird

Ford puts tiny tires on the car to get the gas mileage CAFE standards up. 235s on a 3600lb car with 400rwhp? Please. That shit is damned near negligent homicide. Tire grip should be the first thing you think about when building up your performance car, not gas mileage or 'soaking up' power. My wheels may be heavy-ish, but they're not as heavy as my stock Brembo wheels and Pirellis were. And when I need grip, I got it.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #68
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

If Im wrong prove it.

Yes I picked up power but with the same wheels if I take them to the track I would run slower times with them cause of no traction then I would with my old 20's. Now my new 18's is a different story. lol
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #69
46Tbird

dyno reading ≠ grip
Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #70
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Ford puts tiny tires on the car to get the gas mileage CAFE standards up. 235s on a 3600lb car with 400rwhp? Please. That shit is damned near negligent homicide. Tire grip should be the first thing you think about when building up your performance car, not gas mileage or 'soaking up' power. My wheels may be heavy-ish, but they're not as heavy as my stock Brembo wheels and Pirellis were. And when I need grip, I got it.
I agree with your statement and the negligent homicide part had me rolling. lol From a roll stock to stock the stock rim car will be faster then same car with 20's and wider tires. No?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #71
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

I agree with your statement and the negligent homicide part had me rolling. lol From a roll stock to stock the stock rim car will be faster then same car with 20's and wider tires. No?
I doubt it cause I broke those 235's loose going hwy speeds when I slammed it in 3rd.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #72
DirtyD

A wider contact patch doesn't "soak up" power. It just creates a higher friction force of which the car has to overcome. The power output is the same. As long as the wheels being compared are close to the same overall diameter, the effective gear ratio will be unchanged, thus negligible tq "loss."

Your wheel barrow example doesn't apply here. They are designed to work with a skinny tire to provide the ability to lean as they turn/pivot.

A wagon would be a better example to compare with a car.

A larger tire gives you a larger area in which to spread the load. This means the object will handle better because the weight ir more distributed on the tire surface, making it handle more precisely. The only difference having a 235 on a wheel barrow would make would be the rolling resistance, but once it is rolling, you wouldn't be able to tell the 235 and 295 apart.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #73
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

How the fuck did we get to how stock rims are better then 20" rims from whats the difference in year models?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #74
DirtyD

If the entire wheel+tire setup for the 20s is heavier than the stock setup, then yes, stock wheels will be faster. If the 20s are lighter, the car with those wheels will likely be faster.

Rotating mass if a big deal. The less weight you have to rotate means the motor will rev faster since the work being supplied to turn it is less, giving the motor more power to push itself forward and accelerate.

Last edited by DirtyD; 07-08-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #75
DirtyD

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
How the fuck did we get to how stock rims are better then 20" rims from whats the difference in year models?
Same reason as every other thread derailment.

ADD.